• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Course Preferences (1 Viewer)

kt8

HSC
Do you get to change our course preferences again after we get our UAI? Will we know the cut-offs for all the courses by then? Is it guaranteed that I will be accepted by the course if I obtain a UAI higher than the cut-off uai (except for courses that require interviews)??

Please help.

heidi_kak

HSC
Yes you can change your course preferences after you get your UAI.

No, you will not know all the cut-offs by then. In fact, you won't know any of the 2006 cut-offs. You will know the 2005 cut-offs, but they aren't necessarily going to be the same. So even if your UAI is higher than the 2005 cut-off for the course you want, you still can't be guaranteed that you will get an offer for 2006. But cut-offs often drop as well. A lot of cut-offs dropped last year.

:)

tennille

HSC
Just to add to what heidi_kak mentioned, many universities increase their UAI cut-offs simply for competition, which means that even if you do get below the cut-offs, there is still a chance you will be accepted into the main round for your desired course.

Also some advice: Don't change your first preference around simply because you got below the cut-off, for the reason I mentioned above. :)

kt8

HSC
How do course preferences work??

Oh I see.. thanks guys!

One more question..
Will I be more likely/unlikely to get into a course just because of the way I arrange my course preferences?

Say if I get a UAI of 94 and I put 3 courses that had cutoffs higher than 94(in 2005) as my first 3 preferences and put medical science(at USyd) as my 4th preference which had a cutoff of 93(in 2005), am I disadvantaged as a result of that, when compared to my friend who got the same uai but put medical science(at USyd) as her first preference? Will my friend be more likely to get into med science because she has it as her first preference?

Please give me some advice regarding how to arrange my course preferences. Thanks in advance!

Peartie

HSC
no...

the way the do it there are (say 100) places so they look at everyone who applied, see what their UAI is then out of them they get the top 100 people and the 100th person is the cutoff for that course (eg if that person got 94 then 94 is the cut off)...thats how they work out the course you will get...

and in reference to sorting your courses....put them in the order that you want to do them...don't worry about UAIs

All i have done is sort them into what I want and ordered them 1-19 ( i had 19 courses i wanted to do) THEN i went and looked at UAI and one of the courses i wanted was 70 whereas the same course, at a different uni was 85ish so I just did minor changes like that....just put the courses in order of preference that you want to do them...dont worry 2 much about UAI just yet...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)