• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Course (1 Viewer)

bball_machine

I wish to become a novel writer, or write stories for tv series/movies (what is the term for this job?)... what course in university should I undertake and what about what UAI would I need to aquire? Thanks.

thechosen1

uhhh... B Arts?? UAI around 70?? i dunno im just guessing cause i cant be bothered looking in the UAC guide..

suz

HSC
Maybe creative art or writing, I think that macquarie has that course
Probably 80's to be safe
Good luck

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah around the 80s but for most creative writing courses you'll need to do a portfolio

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
umm...a few off the top of my head...

journalism, communications, arts...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by suz
Maybe creative art or writing, I think that macquarie has that course
Probably 80's to be safe
Good luck
This is the one that I would be doing:).

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i know someone doing that macq course too, cutoff around mid 80s?

how many people do it Merethrond?

allGenreGamer

Do you guys think becoming a writer is a kinda dangerous career? Life will be great if you can write like J.K. Rowling, but if your books are unpopular, how will you make a living? Plz share ur opinions...

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Never consider writing as a career... its not a career until you make enough money to live off it. So if you choose a course say B Arts, or B Comms and do a writing and publishing major or perhaps a jounalism major always think of writing (especially novel writing) as a hobby or a side career.

I want to be a writer, and am doing a B.arts. Truthfully its not gonna get me a career in writing unless i suddenly write the next great book, so i'm using my course as a stepping stone. While i'm bettering my writing techniques and learning new ways to write and things like that i'm also thinking ahead about a career. Which i decided i wouldnt mind being a librarian or a library technician. So using my arts im going to do a postgrad degree for the librarianship.. or if i get antsy anytime soon i'll transfer to another uni to do the course.

But you do have to think about another career, or another avenue that will give you money and time to spend on your writing. Also you might find along the way you don't want to write, or that you like doing journalistic style things more... so just sorta think about that a while before choosing your courses.

A good uai would be somewhere in the 80's, to get into UTS into a decent course for writing you'll prolly need somewhere near the 90's. So if you aim high, somewhere along the line you'll get into what you eventually decide to do.

Leanne

HSC
well i love writing aswell....and i'm thinking of doing journalism, and write short stories on the side.......i'm doing Bachelor of Creative Arts-Creative Writing at Macquarie uni (wat some ppl have suggested) and the ct-off this year was 86.15.....luckily i just made it in....

i hope for ur sake that the cut off doesnt go up too much next yr!

i'm starting the course next week- so i'll let u no how its going if u want bball_machine!

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Originally posted by bball_machine
I wish to become a novel writer, or write stories for tv series/movies (what is the term for this job?)... what course in university should I undertake and what about what UAI would I need to aquire? Thanks.
hmm....2 unit english standard will get u in

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
wot about a plain B English......lol
I would say that the creative writing degree that Macquarie University offers would focus more on writing novels or movie/television scripts than an English degree would (is there even a straight Bachelor of English :confused: ) because they have to learn about other stuff like the history of English and Shakespeare:).

Originally posted by golfstick
i know someone doing that macq course too, cutoff around mid 80s?

how many people do it Merethrond?
I wouldn't have a clue, sorry:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)