Courses to enroll for initial semester in UNSW comp sci (1 Viewer)

giantballofyarn

HSC
N/A
hi all,

I'm a commencing student for comp sci for S2 2006 and I'm currently enrolling for the courses. What is the norm choice of courses to take for the first sem in comp sci?

Have to choose 4 courses so I've chosen to this point: comp1911, math1131 and lastly math1081. Is it recommended to take 3 core courses in the start or would it be too heavy? I've figured that this is the maximum core subjects I can take for a start since the others all have pre-requisites already (correct me if I'm wrong). An elective was also chosen to be the fourth course. (There is actually 2 "permitted clashes" for the psychology lectures but I've read from elsewhere in the forum that these lessons are still recorded so I can replay them from within the library - again, correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for helping :)

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yes, those are normal first semester compsci subjects.

I picked an arts subject as an elective this semester, but it really doesn't matter, pscyh would've been a better choice in retrospect.

giantballofyarn

HSC
N/A
MedNez said:
Yes, those are normal first semester compsci subjects.

I picked an arts subject as an elective this semester, but it really doesn't matter, pscyh would've been a better choice in retrospect.
hi, thanks for your input well at least now I feel more 'confident' to enroll.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but regarding the permitted clashes, there is one clash whereby I have a comp1081 lect and a psycology lect. Naturally I thought I'd attend the core subj lect (in this case comp1081) and not the psyc one, but on my timetable the lecture that was listed (albeit highlighted in orange) was the psyc lecture. hmmm... so what do you reckon?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Alternate and see which one you need help with. You might be fine in one, and not needing to put in too much effort, so you can concentrate on the other.

Just see how it goes, 1081 clashes with most things :\

giantballofyarn

HSC
N/A
Mednez, thanks for the advice :) appreciate your input.

Yup seems like what you said is true, maths 1081 does clash alot. Guess I know more or less what to do.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
No worries at all, just finished my first semester of compsci, you'll be fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)