• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

cover letter / resume (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey peeps

my cover letter is 200 words...

my resume is three pages?

are they ok?

or should changes be made?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
That is a good size
just make sure what you put in is relevent to the job your applying to.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
200 words isn't very long. Are you sure you've included everything?

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
i heard that if your resume is over like 1.5 pages chances are they wont bother reading most of it..
thats just what ive heard, it would vary between employers but still just something to think about

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
That's what I got told too. I put all the neccessary stuff on one page and if they want to see documents, I'll be happy to show them.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
and i have heard to keep cover letters brief, so that's fine

capsicum

HSC
Originally posted by aditya
hey peeps

my cover letter is 200 words...

my resume is three pages?

are they ok?

or should changes be made?
it depends on the position you are applying for. make sure your cover letter is brief and to the point. shouldn't resumes be around 2 pages? i heard a one page resume was the best length to have

Ribbon

I always got told that resumes shouldn't be more than 2 pages, because generally speaking they are looking through a whole bunch at a time and you need to be succint and make an impression or they won't bother... when you start going for 'real' jobs after uni though you should make your resume as long as it needs to be without being stupid... ie only include the really important stuff and if that stuff happens to be 4 pages so be it..

as for cover letters, they can be as long as they need to be in order to address the selection criterea. Kepp in mind though the level of detail about yourself that is nessary to the position because if it is inappropriately long you won't get a look in. If you are applying for a retail position in a fashion outlet maybe don't go into so much detail. If you are applying for an administration role with formal selection criterea make it as long as it needs to be to get your point accross without being to wordy... I have written alot of cover letter for others the majority being over 4 or 5 pages (keep in mind these were for jobs over 40k a year, not $10p/h supermarket jobs). For senior roles it is common for cover letters to be 8 -10 pages.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
mine is 2 pages. with referees spilling over the 3rd page.

what i did with mine is that i put anything inportant you want to show off in bold.

eg: received UAI of 99.95. band 6 in 5 subjects, etc...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
my resume is 1 page and i have always kept my cover letters very concise, only a couple of small paragraphs. employers would rather have shorted resume's / cover letters than longer ones... trust me

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Mine is two pages. I think it is important to be brief because as people have said, employers can't be bothered to read pages of crap. Your length sounds fine to me. Make sure you have the important stuff on the front page though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)