• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cover letters (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There are heaps of templates out there on the net, but this is the first one I wrote (it got me an interview; which I later withdrew).

Cover Letter said:
<My name and details>

<Date>

<Name>
<Title>
<Address>

Re: <job> at <place>

Dear <Name>,

I would like to apply for the <job> at <place> because I feel that I have a lot to offer with both my interpersonal skills and business knowledge. My career objective is to be associated with a professional firm where hard work and teamwork are rewarded, and there are opportunities for career progression. I believe the cadetship program offers the opportunity to fulfil my career objective and to become a Chartered Accountant. I particularly am interested in Audit and Assurance, however I am also willing to gain experience in any service area you feel is suited to my skills and experience.

School academic achievements include receiving High Distinction Cash Prize in the PricewaterhouseCoopers Business Studies Competition, maintaining a High Distinction average in the Westpac Mathematics Competition and gaining 2nd Place Program Champions in the annual Australian Business Week State Program held at the University of Sydney. I have also achieved Distinctions in the PricewaterhouseCoopers Economics Competition and Macquarie Business Mathematics Competition (Challenge Level), and have maintained 1st Place in Information Processes and Technology for three consecutive semesters.

Work experience consists of working at Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and as company accountant in our Young Achievers company UtopYa. Through work experience and training at the Australian Business Week programs I have learnt the importance of accounting and maintenance of accurate financial records, as well as the necessity of teamwork. I believe extra curricular activities such as being the Uniform Committee Student Chairperson have enabled me to develop my organisation and interpersonal skills.

My research shows that <place> values it’s’ people and encourages teamwork and although competent at working individually, I prefer to work as a team member with others. My teamwork skills were developed through working in many team projects and with various school committees such as the recent fundraising effort for the Tsunami appeal. Organisational skills and interpersonal skills ascertained will further assist in becoming a team member of <place>.

Enclosed is the completed Application Form, extra sheets for the Achievements and Extra Curricular Activities sections, a copy of my resume and the three most recent school reports. I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me at <detail>. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

<My name>
Of course everyone's style is different and they'll choose to emphasise different points based on job criteria and whom they are. IIRC UNSW has a good guide (I think I was inspired by a sample cover letter on there) in their Careers section. It should be noted that this was a more 'reserved' application- ie. I didn't use the words "I", "Me", "My", etc.. to unnecessarily draw attention to myself and appear self-centered... I tried to "imply" or "allude", and also tried to remove any unnecessary repetition of words.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
All depends on what job you are applying for and the image you are trying to project- I was trying to get into Accounting as an ex-HSCer, and because I knew I lacked in certain areas, I tried to make up for it by emphasising my academics. Some employers might get pissed if you submit a cover letter that long-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)