• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CRAMM Tactics (1 Viewer)

Cicciolina

HSC
amoz_lilo said:
ohhh I'll have to get back to you on that one, I'm cramming last minute for legal studies yearlies, next week so can't wait to see how much I failed
Ditto. Well, kinda. I'll see where hardcore cramming gets me for my trials which start in 3 days. It's worked for me before - I've got the perfect trial schedule for cramming :D lots of half days.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
To get really high marks you need to know how to answer the questions as well as just knowing the content. This means looking at past marking guidelines and markers comments. This means knowing the content, and practising past papers and looking at the markers comments. This process takes a while. i doubt relying on cramming alone will get anyone their personal best...

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i cram every time i have a test, and then wheni go crap.. i start studying a while beforehand... and i still go crap so.. ??

Cicciolina

HSC
Cramming is kinda like how my best essays are written at 2am in the morning before it's due, while I sit half asleep in front of the computer with a block of dark chocolate and coffee, churning about some utter crap on whatever I'm writing about :p I get As for those essays and mediocre Cs for the ones that I plan before hand and write at decent hours of the day :D

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
i usually cram... but these days i try not to cram i have no motivation to sit there for 6 hrs trying to remember stuff.... i have a short attention span

olay

HSC
mack said:
My cousin did a cram beyond all crams after the trials, having done next to nothing the whole year, and got 98.05. Doesnt work for me, i have to keep the consistency or im a dead man.
hey how does that work??????? did he do really well in his assessments throughout the yr anyway, despite the lack of study????

anyway i'm an assessments crammer, i.e. i will do assessments the night before. but for exams i like to feel prepared by 11:30 the night before.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Cram works but only for topic exams...
I didn't study for economic half-yearly til the night before, about 10 to 12 hours straight, I didn't finish studying everything and it kills your brain.

So consistency is the key. Or at least cram one week rather than the night before an exam.
Also, eat a lot of fish. Apparently its good for the brain.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I crammed for chemistry: worked like a charm
I worked the whole year for physics: worked like a charm
I crammed for business studies: worked like a charm until the hsc exam where I got caught out, but I didn't care
Working and cramming for english got me the same result...
Maths is UNCRAMMABLE (maybe 2U and below, but that's all)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Cramming only works if youve learned the material or payed attention in class the first time around. To properly cram (if there is such a thing) you need to give yourself about a week before the exam. Get your notes in order and start reading them over and over again. Then just work through past papers and before you know it, youll be acing exams. The only problem is that a week after the exam is over, youll forget everything you learnt. Its also a good idea not to read anything else in the half an hour period before the actual exam. Its too late at this point. Just get some food, sit down and bludge and above else, remember to go to the toilet!

mack

Banned
HSC
olay said:
hey how does that work??????? did he do really well in his assessments throughout the yr anyway, despite the lack of study????

anyway i'm an assessments crammer, i.e. i will do assessments the night before. but for exams i like to feel prepared by 11:30 the night before.

Well to clarify, it was a she, and im not sure how she went in the assesments. She went to the same school as me, top 15 selective, but didnt do that much work, usually the tiny bit before the exams strategy. I think it was her natural gift for writing and top ten english rank which helped her out. Then after the trials it was like 10-12 hrs a day in a uni library. I heard Minai did the same thing which netted him his 95.25.

mack

Banned
HSC
And if youre going to eat fish, start eating Sirena tuna in oil. It fucking owns all other tuna. Dont eat John West tuna, that guy is a hack and wouldnt have a clue on how to make tasty tuna.

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
I didnt even look at one of the topics for my Geography exam until the morning of the HSC exam, and I still managed to get a band 6 in it. It's all about training myself to memorise things....I've done it ever since year 7. You'll need another person to help you with it for it to work best, but it is possible to do it alone.

What you need to do is write down whatever it is you are trying to learn, then condense this as much as you can. Then from each sentence, pick out a key word (or key words if neccesary). write these words on a separate peice of paper. Put away the peice of paper which has all of the information on itor give it to the person helping you, and use the papaer with the key words on it to jog your memory. Try to explain as much information as you can about each of the key words, and if you have someone helping you, get them to put a small mark near stuff you have forgotten. Then you can see which information you need to concentrate on most. S

ometimes it helped me if I put little symbols near my keywords...this helped especially for art, but it worked for other subjects too....if there is something you have trouble learning, doodle something which makes you think of that thing near it so that when you study your notes, you associate that doodle with the information you need to learn. Sometimes when I was writing essays, I'd suddenly remember something to put in later on in the essay, and rather than jotting down a stream of words and losing my present train of thought, I'd just scribble the little doodle I'd used when studying on the exam paper near the question I was referring to. You might end up with lots of little pictures all over the place, but it really really helps. To this day, if I see my doodles in my old notes or on old exam papers I have, I can recall whatever information I used that doodle to remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)