crazy open ended question. (1 Viewer)

barbernator

HSC
Here is a question for y'all. Its from the CSSA 2007 paper and it is worth 5 marks.

"Assess the impact on the development of new technologies of scientists being able to manipulate electrons"

There is so much to talk about in relation to the manipulation of electrons:
- Thermionic devices
- Transistors
- Superconductors
- Cathode Ray Oscilliscopes
- Eddy currents for resistive heating and braking
etc. etc. etc.

how the fuck do u filter what to write in this question?

Last edited:

jenslekman

HSC
5 marks so maybe write about 5 things - it looks like its asking for mainly cathode ray applications - tv/oscilloscope

cool question XD

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
So i guess you'll talk about p-n semi conductors and how they are used in photovoltaic cells, ssd devices, thermionic devices etc

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The clue here is when they say "manipulate electrons", personally, this suggests that they want you to talk about:
- Cathode rays and MAYBE thermionic devices (identify and maybe use a diagram then discuss properties)
- Application of cathode ray tubes/oscilloscopes (televisions, monitors, oscilloscopes, medical uses, research etc)
- Discuss the advantages/disadvantages [energy, size, cost, weight etc]
- Why they were then superseded by solid state devices [smaller, energy, cost, heat etc]
- Why they are still used in some cases [military - electromagnetic pulse effect etc]
- Judgement of their value

Okay, I got the marking scheme too.

For 4-5 marks:
1. Identifies that electrons can be manipulated by electric or magnetic fields due to their negative charge
2. Identifies a use of the manipulation of charges
3. Identifies more than TWO technologies that make use of the manipulation of electrons.
4. Identifies the use these technologies are put to
5. Makes a judgement of the value of the development of new technologies

Overall, I think this is a very poor question and marking scheme by CSSA...

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
The clue here is when they say "manipulate electrons", personally, this suggests that they want you to talk about:
- Cathode rays and MAYBE thermionic devices (identify and maybe use a diagram then discuss properties)
- Application of cathode ray tubes/oscilloscopes (televisions, monitors, oscilloscopes, medical uses, research etc)
- Discuss the advantages/disadvantages [energy, size, cost, weight etc]
- Why they were then superseded by solid state devices [smaller, energy, cost, heat etc]
- Why they are still used in some cases [military - electromagnetic pulse effect etc]
- Judgement of their value

Okay, I got the marking scheme too.

For 4-5 marks:
1. Identifies that electrons can be manipulated by electric or magnetic fields due to their negative charge
2. Identifies a use of the manipulation of charges
3. Identifies more than TWO technologies that make use of the manipulation of electrons.
4. Identifies the use these technologies are put to
5. Makes a judgement of the value of the development of new technologies

Overall, I think this is a very poor question and marking scheme by CSSA...
cheers for that dude!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)