• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Credit Transfers: Graphic Design to Visual Arts (1 Viewer)

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
If I make the cut, I'll be doing a Diploma or CertIV in Grapic Design through TAFE next year. I don't feel like uni - not for a while, anyway.
Seeing as my qualification is going to to be specific (Graphic Design instead of Visual Arts), would I still be able to get some sort of credit transfer or any kind of advantage in the selection process?
I was hoping to transfer into a combined Arts/Visual Arts degree. Does anyone know how competitive this course is? I know the UAI cut-off is 85, but I'm guessing only people with 90+ are making it through.

I'm also at a loss as to whether I'd be applying through UAC or......?

Evilo

HSC
Conspiración said:
would I still be able to get some sort of credit transfer or any kind of advantage in the selection process?
yes and yes.

You have to speak with anu directly on this one (im only a student), but you may be able to transfer some of your work from tafe towards your degree. Just keep in mind that 1 tafe year =/ 1 anu year. You may only get 1 subjects worth of credit points - really depends how well the tafe is tied with anu.

As far as advantage goes, i think you can write to them and ask for special consideration when appying to anu. I remember seeing it on the website, but after several attempts i cannot find the form. It's on their somewhere.

I was hoping to transfer into a combined Arts/Visual Arts degree. Does anyone know how competitive this course is? I know the UAI cut-off is 85, but I'm guessing only people with 90+ are making it through.
The visual arts is quite time consuming, but a good course. Keep in mind you will be required to buy some of your own arts supplies (on top of hecs)
Arts if you have the "nack" for it is very rewarding - but involves lots of reading.
I fail at arts - so i do science. lol
I'm also at a loss as to whether I'd be applying through UAC or......?
No idea tbh, contact anu and ask.

Hope this helps

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
You have to speak with anu directly on this one (im only a student), but you may be able to transfer some of your work from tafe towards your degree. Just keep in mind that 1 tafe year =/ 1 anu year. You may only get 1 subjects worth of credit points - really depends how well the tafe is tied with anu.
I'll have to ask closer to the time then. I just wanted to get an idea. ANU is the best uni in Aus, but it's not the best Creative Arts school. If I got into COFA, then I can apply for Advanced Standing.
It's strange though because they e-mailed me back saying that admission was based solely on academic merit and there were no interviews or portfolios. I spoke to a Visual Arts teacher who graduated from there and he looked at me as if I'd just said the moon was made of mangoes. I don't understand either. Anyway....
As far as advantage goes, i think you can write to them and ask for special consideration when appying to anu. I remember seeing it on the website, but after several attempts i cannot find the form. It's on their somewhere.
Thanks, I'll have a look around and see if I can find anything.
The visual arts is quite time consuming, but a good course.
Tell me about it!:hammer:
Keep in mind you will be required to buy some of your own arts supplies (on top of hecs)
Sigh. That's the only thing I'm concerned about. My parents will pay for everything if I take Graphic Design, but I'm not sure if they'd fund my Visual Arts course. In any case, I'll have to get a piggy bank.
Arts if you have the "nack" for it is very rewarding - but involves lots of reading.
I fail at arts - so i do science. lol
lol I'm not sure if Visual Arts and Arts would be a good combination. I'm a bit hesitant because VA takes so much time and energy and then there's a whole stack of crap to read for Arts. Do VA/A students walk around like zombies? Because that's what I'm imagining. No sleep whatsoever.
No idea tbh, contact anu and ask.
Hope this helps
Thanks a lot, helped a bit :) I'll probably e-mail ANU.

Btw, would it be too troublesome to ask for some photos of the arts studios and facilites? Just curious.

Evilo

HSC
lol I'm not sure if Visual Arts and Arts would be a good combination. I'm a bit hesitant because VA takes so much time and energy and then there's a whole stack of crap to read for Arts. Do VA/A students walk around like zombies? Because that's what I'm imagining. No sleep whatsoever.
Assuming its a combined degree, [from what i understand] the V-art teachers/lecturers get a bit "ancy" if your always going to lectures. To be honest, arts has the least number of contact hours. Just keep in mind the big picture - and job prospects.

Btw, would it be too troublesome to ask for some photos of the arts studios and facilites? Just curious.
For actual facilities - here are the specs - http://www.anu.edu.au/ITA/CSA/workshops.html
They have a library, coffee shop, and an art shop too! (lol ive been up there for an exhibition).

This is the "main front" - http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/display_image.asp?int_UploadId=98
Its quite grand really. Looks really cool

I honestly can't tell you much more than that. I don't do subjects there, and my mate who does visual arts doesn't speak much about the actual art school (aart from the fact he enjoys himself). However they do have friday afternoon art students drinks :). Thats all i know lol.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Thanks heaps.
I've actually changed my mind - I'll be going next door.
B Graphic Design @ UC.

Both ANU, UNSW, and USYD don't offer the specific course I'm looking for. So it's either Uni of Canberra or Wollongong.

Thanks for your time though!
One last question... Do ANU and UC have some sort of rivalry between them? I don't think there'd be an Oxbridge type thing going on (because UC is so shit it can't compare) but do they still sort of go "Na-ah, my uni's betterrrrrrrr!"?

Evilo

HSC
Conspiración said:
Thanks heaps.
I've actually changed my mind - I'll be going next door.
No worries, best to choose the course that *best* suits you.

Conspiración said:
One last question... Do ANU and UC have some sort of rivalry between them? I don't think there'd be an Oxbridge type thing going on (because UC is so shit it can't compare) but do they still sort of go "Na-ah, my uni's betterrrrrrrr!"?
hmmm well yes and no. I dont see any UC people to "diss" so that makes it a bit harder, but i do hear the occasional UC joke being pulled.

UC is like a super-tafe anyway. Its like apples and oranges - different courses and everything.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
"Super-tafe" lmfao
I won't ever consider myself going to university then haha.
But oh well!
Thanks again!

Evilo

HSC
lol sorry - i didnt mean it in a derogatory (sp?) way.

Have you thought about UNSW? From what it looked like - they have great visual design courses. I was going to do visual design there, but found other interests.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
lol sorry - i didnt mean it in a derogatory (sp?) way.

Have you thought about UNSW? From what it looked like - they have great visual design courses. I was going to do visual design there, but found other interests.
Oh, so true - I mean, mining is all the rage now. Lol.

UNSW (COFA) is what I was planning on. I read a bit about the B Design course (which you'd basically major in) and it didn't sound too interesting. It was just drawing for like the first year or first semester. I can't draw for crap - that's why I'm doing digital stuff.
I'll still consider COFA; keep my options open. I've spoken to UTS and they can accept me as either a non-school leaver or whatever and/or as a mature age student. I can get up to 48 credit points at UTS, depending on my electives (for a B Design (Visual Comm). But at UW, I can only get up to 36. Crappy.
The only thing I was concerned about is the UAI issue. They don't take a serious look at it apparently (at UTS anyway) and they may or may not use it (if it assists you in the selection process).
So nothing's definite. Heck, I have to get into the Dip course first! Haha. I just wanted to know what kind of electives I'd have to choose to get away with 48crp but nobody's dishing the dirt - yet. I'll keep harrassing them about it once I get into that Dip course (which I have to, life kinda depends on it lol).

UC is always there, though. So damn easy to get into - 65 UAI lol.
Man, I would've loved to have done the IB at ANU. Sigh.

Evilo

HSC
Conspiración said:
Man, I would've loved to have done the IB at ANU. Sigh.
lol, i did it last year and it was "interesting"... i swore never to do it again lol.
So i was going to do it again this year and they have postponed it because the organisers couldn't get their act together.... they postponed it less than a week before the run... arggh!!!

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
"I swore never to do it again... So I was going to do it again"
lol fucking

I changed my mind AGAIN.
I want to do IT (Web Design). I've always been into web design but my dad keeps pressuring me with graphic design. I only said yes because he'd pay haha.
So it looks like (out of the freaking huge list I've put together) B Information Technology / B Media Multimedia Production.
UC, of course. Never ceases to amaze me. They have every course I'm after. And their combined degrees are so bloody perfect - you can practically mix and match whatever you like and they'll have it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)