Crime Writing: Further Readings (1 Viewer)

7oas7y

HSC
Hey guys! To expand my readings, I was just wondering if anyone recommends any crime fiction texts (novels//plays//films//poetry). Preferably not 500pg long novels, though if you truly believe they're worth reading I shall have a look at them. Below are some of the texts I think are worth having a look at.

•Alfred Hitchcock's films are a must watch!! I recommend Psycho (original), Rear Window and Rope.
•Se7en is a brilliant film too, though I've heard it's overused and therefore a bad choice for use in an essay.
•Robert Wilson's a fantastic author. Read his Javier Falcone Series for a good read.
•Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and The Davinci Code are a different text to use as well as a beautifully written novel.
•Obviously you have to read some Arthur Conan Doyle short stories purely on the basis that Sherlock Holmes was debatably THE best detective ever. I recommend Hound of the Baskervilles.
•Online games such as Crimson Room, Viridian Room and White Chamber found on http://www.fasco-csc.com/index_e.php are...well not so much crime per se, but they do offer a great first person perspective on detective work. ie looking for clues to solve a particular problem.
•Edgar Alan Poe's poems/short stories (not sure what to classify them as). And I'm not so sure these are crime writing, though still worth taking a look at.

morning storm

HSC
a couple of the contemporary crime series are ok. stay away from the csi crap, but stuff like DEXTER is pretty trippy

it also allows you to watch all 2 seasons on the internet guilt free because you're studying for english..

chumbumm. =D

HSC
books by patricia cornwell are prettty good.
post mortem was a good book of hers.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Micheal Colloney (not sure how it's spelt sorry) but I recently read his novel "Echo Park" for recreation and found it very interesting, its a good one for exploring contemporary crime fiction and the hard-boiled detective.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Raymond Chandler yet. His novels are short and they are quintessential hard boiled reading.

MarchOfTheDead

HSC
as mentioned above, definitely check out crime writing by Edgar Allan Poe.
i myself just read Murders In The Rue Morgue for a submission.
Other good crime works by Poe include
- The Mystery of Marie Roget
- The Purloined Letter
- The Gold Bug
- 'Thou Art the Man'

also check out some Agatha Christie short stories and plays if you want something simple and easy to analyse under the context of Golden Age crime writing.

adidasyeah

HSC
Most of the ones i would have recommended are on the list. But I think David Guterson's noel 'Snow Falling on Cedars' is alright too. Maybe Dashiell Hammet's novel 'The Maltese Falcon' and this movie,...
Written by Christopher McQuarrie and directed by Bryan Singer named 'The Usual Suspects'. Man, that movie is good!!

LordPc

HSC
I think Poe's works are brilliant but terrible too. The concept of his works are great but his writing is so tedious, its hard to get through to the end of his short stories.

but anyway, I recommend Agatha Christie's book And Then There Were None (AKA Ten Little Niggers). An excellent crime novel, really easy to read too, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Its not a long novel and well worth the read. Her short stories are good too.

Also on the tube, you dont have to watch the CSI and Law & Order shows to get CF. X-Files is good, Veronica Mars is also a nice teen CF, Angel aswell. You could also check out the show Psych. I dont think it airs anymore in Australia though

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
LordPc said:
I
I recommend Agatha Christie's book And Then There Were None (AKA Ten Little Niggers). An excellent crime novel, really easy to read too, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Its not a long novel and well worth the read. Her short stories are good too.
Yes! That is a great novel, I read it a few years back and I am definitely going to use it as a related text.

0hNivlek

HSC
My teacher recommended our class Echo Park by Michael Connelly too. She lent her copy to me as she says it's a really good contemporary crime novel.

I'm also going to use Agatha Christie's Curtain: Poirot's Last Case too lol.

Jetta

HSC
Im doing an episode of Angel (not sure which one yet), Chandler's The Big Sleep and LA Confidential (book or novel) and also im gonna use The Simpson's episode "Who Shot Mr. Burns Pt. 2". That's all I can remember right now :p

Question for you guys:

Is Crime and Punishment a related text?

dinopoke

HSC
I recommend Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire. . Written by an Swedish author, it's good for a text from another culture and you can see many European and American conventions being played around with.

Ben Elton's Past Mortem is also an interesting and enjoyable read.

oceangirl31

HSC
great ideas :)
also a short story of sherlock holmes is ideal
quick easy and straight to the point

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
great ideas :)
also a short story of sherlock holmes is ideal
quick easy and straight to the point
you can add extremely common and overdone to that list too.

so many people use doyle or poe's works then best do them well, cause you dont want to be seen as just another kid who picked a common text. you want to make sure that you are the kid that took a common text and wrote a top essay on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)