Critical Response practise (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
I was wondering if there is any place to get practise critical response questions that are general enough to apply to some extra reading I do? I don't want to use past HSC papers as of yet.

I'm asking because I read Orwell's 'Shooting an Elephant' (just as extra reading, not for a related text or anything) and I couldn't seem to find any relevant questions.

Thank you :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
"practice"

In English usage, the verb is "practise" and the noun is "practice".
The Yanks use "practice" for both the verb and the noun.

may22

HSC
"practice"

In English usage, the verb is "practise" and the noun is "practice".
The Yanks use "practice" for both the verb and the noun.
Whoops, I do extension and I still stuff those two up 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
There are many American usage that has now infected Australia:

- absent: "absent the strict enforcement . . . " vs "without the strict enforcement . . ."

- snuck: "bad American usage has slowly snuck in . . . " vs "bad American usage has slowly sneaked in . . ."

- maturation: this American usage often occurs when maturity is intended

- dove: "he dove into the project with enthusiasm . . ." vs "he dived into the project . . . "

If you check the Wiktionary, the often suggest: snuck and sneaked both acceptable
and dove and dived are equivalent and valid. Let me suggest some idiots in the past, being poor in his tenses did not know that dived is the past tense as well as the past participle of dive just as sneaked is the past tense and the past participle of sneak. Such poor usage eventually gained currency, in a case of the blind leading the blind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)