• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Critical Response Redability (1 Viewer)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, can anyone pinpoint for me what makes really readable/enjoyable critical responses that way. Because sometimes you end up with really verbose sounding stuff (which although may be brilliant) you have to push yourself to read.

Could it be picking a pop-culture topic? or is it simply the words you use?? and if so, what kind... sorry to ask so much, but its really hard to judge if your own stuff is readable and enjoyable!

Jinglebell

HSC
readability and enjoyability are very subjective...for example, i find Austen a readable and enjoyable writer, but many, many people would disagree.

i'd hazard a guess that, in general, the markers of ext 2 would find a wide variety of styles of writing readable...but if you try to alter your personal writing style too much then your work will probably become distictly lacking in both readability and enjoyability, as it will just come across as forced.

if you're taking on ext 2 one would assume you are a competent writer with a solid style and technique, don't try to mess with the winning formula too much. and if you're coming across as really verbose and pretentious, i'm sure there's someone who'll let you know:)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Na, i dont come across as verbose, but there are others in my class who do, and my teach is attempting to beat it out of them :)

sugared plum

HSC
i don't think picking a pop-culture topic would make it any easier to read...often maybe harder for the people who are marking who might not be familiar wiht the terms you use.

i think the best critical responses come from students who are very articulate, have clarity in argument, and fully understand their topic - in that way, the larger part of the work is their own; not just quotes and references lumped together

sugared plum

HSC
speaking of pop culture topics, did anyone read the thingo in that book about tool and fight club or something??
ahaha it was very cool

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
the thing i don't look forward to is having to read my friend's MW over and over for the next three terms, i think really a critical response should be readable if you don't get all fancy-pants about it but only the first few times...
but the next hundred would just be annoying

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
speaking of pop culture topics, did anyone read the thingo in that book about tool and fight club or something??
ahaha it was very cool
Yeah, that thing about existentialism and modern flicks! That was cool! I love the one in the year after that one, Real to Ideal, Its about CK models and how societys perception of the ideal male has changed?? REALLY good! Deserved a 50!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)