• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cruelty towards animals - are we fair? (1 Viewer)

theoneme

HSC
N/A
what do you think, is it?
and why wouldnt' it be?
is it not ok because we have been thought that it is wrong?

i'm not saying that you should kick cats just wondering why it is seen as more wrong than killing (or kicking for that matter) a fly.

lengy

HSC
Re: is it ok to kick a cat?

You have to catch them first. It's very hard to kick stray cats. Trust me I've tried. I hiss at them. I try to scare them. There's something primal about it. I've always thought about grabbing them by the tail and swinging them around. I loved the video clip of a cat that was watching a ceiling fan with it's dangling pull switch that swiped at it only to be caught and swung around in circles till the centrifugal force was too much and it was thrown against a wall. Absolutely hilarious. At the same time though, I find them very adorable as kittens. I love to get on all fours and follow a cat around, just to see what they get up to, where they go. I'd say... it's probably wrong... but it'd still do it... but I wont cause of those RSPCA c#%@!

theoneme

HSC
N/A

appearantly it seems hard to believe but i was serious about this.

volition

arr.
HSC

theoneme said:
and why wouldnt' it be?

i'm not saying that you should kick cats just wondering why it is seen as more wrong than killing (or kicking for that matter) a fly.
No, it's probably not 'ok'

On a totally unrelated issue, it WOULD be ok to kick Germaine Greer.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

theoneme said:
and why wouldnt' it be?

No, it's not ok to kick a cat. This is because I think the principle of nonmaleficence, that we are obligated not to cause unnecessary harm to others, should be extended to animal species. If you kick a cat you cause it harm the same way you cause harm to a human if you kick or punch them.

I suppose one might argue that flies have a far reduced capacity to experience harm or to gain pleasure from life (that they are more machine-like almost). This might just be a misconception though, given how removed we are from the world and experiences of a fly. I certainly don't think we should kill flies just for the fun of it.

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC

Why not? as long as you don't kill it. It's not like a cat really gives a crap about you. Neither does a fly. They'd both eat you if you were dead, they wouldn't think twice about it.

Killing animals or insects isn't nice though, no point to it. Unless you're in danger.

santa06

HSC

I HATE CATS!!!!
but its still not okay to kick them, cuz imagine if they could beat the shit out of you... you wouldnt like it either

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC

So if it was a bear attacking you, you still wouldn't kick it?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

i'd only do it in self defence, when attacked by a panther or a lion...

HotShot

-_-
HSC

i would do anything to kick a cat or dog fucken filthy creatures...

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC

No, it's not ok to kick a cat. No animal deserves to be casually injured for our entertainment - it demonstrates a potentially pathological lack of empathy.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

The Logical One said:
Why not? as long as you don't kill it. It's not like a cat really gives a crap about you. Neither does a fly. They'd both eat you if you were dead, they wouldn't think twice about it.
There are human beings out their who I am sure are indifferent towards me and would take advantage of me given the chance. I don't see this as a reasonable (dare I say logical) justification for causing them unecessary harm (/pain, etc.). Why should this be different for animals?

HSC

KFunk said:
There are human beings out their who I am sure are indifferent towards me and would take advantage of me given the chance. I don't see this as a reasonable (dare I say logical) justification for causing them unecessary harm (/pain, etc.). Why should this be different for animals?
It isn't justifiable but I don't necessarily see what's so 'bad' about it. Do you? Rofl.... i mean... they cats....

HSC

I don't think you get the joke... According to 'Urban Dictionary.com'

Cat;
A person, usually male and generally considered or thought to be cool.
After meeting a new group of people one may say to his or her friends "Those cats were alright."

Where is that cat?

I haven't seen him in a while. That cat's getting fat

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

The Logical One said:
It isn't justifiable but I don't necessarily see what's so 'bad' about it. Do you? Rofl.... i mean... they cats....
Do you see anything wrong with human pain and suffering? To experience pain is by no means a pleasant experience - it can be quite terrible. As such I see the experience of pain as a 'negative thing' and believe that to unnecessarily cause another being pain is to do wrong. Animals too can feel pain. Cats cry out when harmed and show pain responses analagous to those seen in humans. It does not take a great leap of empathy to see that cats feel pain when kicked. I think that for any animal with the capacity to experience such pain it is reasonable to suggest that we are obligated not to cause such an animal unnecessary harm.

The Logical One said:
I don't think you get the joke... According to 'Urban Dictionary.com'
[/I]
I suppose that's because your mention of flies made everything so clear?

HSC

KFunk said:
Do you see anything wrong with human pain and suffering? To experience pain is by no means a pleasant experience - it can be quite terrible. As such I see the experience of pain as a 'negative thing' and believe that to unnecessarily cause another being pain is to do wrong. Animals too can feel pain. Cats cry out when harmed and show pain responses analagous to those seen in humans. It does not take a great leap of empathy to see that cats feel pain when kicked. I think that for any animal with the capacity to experience such pain it is reasonable to suggest that we are obligated not to cause such an animal unnecessary harm.

I suppose that's because your mention of flies made everything so clear?
lol... if you died infront of a cat it would eat your face... if you entered a jungle a wild cat would rip you to shreds and devour your bones. An occasional kick wouldn't do a cat serious harm(small surges of pain) to which they can easily brush off.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

goldendawn said:
No, it's not ok to kick a cat. No animal deserves to be casually injured for our entertainment - it demonstrates a potentially pathological lack of empathy.
its not entertainment - its my fucken world and not the cats.. bitches shitting everywhere...

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A

its ok to kick a fly cos they arent soft and furry and u cant hug them, like u can with a cat :) flies piss everyone off, cats only mangle and destroy native birds and animals --> hardly doing much damage.

Last edited:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I don't think you should kick a cat because there is no reason to inflict pain upon the cat. People get killed all the time and I don't see that as any good reason to kick them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)