• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CSSA 2005 Question (1 Viewer)

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
Can somebody help me with this question

"Using logical and relational operators, write a query that will find all Action Dvd's that are2hours or over in length"

Thanks

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
SELECT * FROM DVDID_database WHERE 'Genre' = 'Action' AND 'Length' >= '120' AND 'Type' = 'DVD'

That should be right if were looking at the same question.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
Tommy_69 said:
so you still use the SQL Statements for writing this?
I dont know completely but thats what I did in the trial and it was correct. I dont know of any other way of writing a query really. And that one does use logical and relational operators so it is correct. If a similar question came up I would write an SQL query even though it doesnt specify sql.

However, my textbook says a query is constructed in the form: <fieldname> <operator> <data>
Following this example, the answer would be as follows
Genre = Action AND Length >= 120 AND Type = DVD

Now an sql query contains that same information in the same format only it also specifys the sort order and table being queried- therefore it should still be correct.

HSC
N/A
Tommy_69 said:
Can somebody help me with this question

"Using logical and relational operators, write a query that will find all Action Dvd's that are2hours or over in length"

Thanks
SQL format is only supposed to be used for SQL queries

QBE queries are using the format you specified in your last post skyrockets

The QBE is as follows
TYPE = DVD and GENRE = Action AND LENGTH >= 120

Then the SQL query is
SELECT: Title; Description
WHERE: TYPE = "video" and DESCRIPTION = "*true*"
ORDERBY: "LENGTH(min)" ASC

hope that helps
=)

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
I question some of that syntax on your SQL query, especially on the last line with the order by statement. Is that from your textbook or a database program?

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
I question some of that syntax on your SQL query, especially on the last line with the order by statement. Is that from your textbook or a database program?
ahh that's apparantly the answer LOL
according to the answer paper
but - in the last part, where i stated ORDERBY: "LENGTH(min)" ASC
the (min) is actually part of the field name - nothing else
lol

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
haha, sorry- just looked at the question and indeed it is part of that field name. I dont know how it could let you have brackets in a field name, let alone spaces... but who am I to argue with these trial papers, just give em what they want and everyone is happy i guess...

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha, sorry- just looked at the question and indeed it is part of that field name. I dont know how it could let you have brackets in a field name, let alone spaces... but who am I to argue with these trial papers, just give em what they want and everyone is happy i guess...
haha - that totally cracked me up for some reason
but yeah, i totally understand what you mean; i sat there looking at it in the exam like "why do they have brackets in the field name?!" then realised i was wasting valuable time pondering the meaning of these brackets .. so i just answered the question
good thing i got it right .. well the SQL - stuffed up the QBE but it happens; just gotta study it now.
hmm .. im rambLing
ahhhh
by the way - reckon the HSC paper is gonna be harder than the trial?

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
haha - that totally cracked me up for some reason
but yeah, i totally understand what you mean; i sat there looking at it in the exam like "why do they have brackets in the field name?!" then realised i was wasting valuable time pondering the meaning of these brackets .. so i just answered the question
good thing i got it right .. well the SQL - stuffed up the QBE but it happens; just gotta study it now.
hmm .. im rambLing
ahhhh
by the way - reckon the HSC paper is gonna be harder than the trial?
haha, i just wrote sql for both parts of that question and lost a mark on both cause i forgot to write type=dvd but otherwise the sql would have been correct (mabey my teacher likes me, or likes sql)

I assume you did the CSSA trial cause thats what where talking about... So yea, i think it will be harder.. this is cause we didnt have to draw any data flow or system flowcharts on the trial, and i think those are hard to get full marks on, also it was very straightforward- that said it seemed pretty similar to prior hscs, i'd just say it would be kinda similar only include some diagram drawing and mabey one of those tables with information technology and participants and processes and all...

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha, i just wrote sql for both parts of that question and lost a mark on both cause i forgot to write type=dvd but otherwise the sql would have been correct (mabey my teacher likes me, or likes sql)

I assume you did the CSSA trial cause thats what where talking about... So yea, i think it will be harder.. this is cause we didnt have to draw any data flow or system flowcharts on the trial, and i think those are hard to get full marks on, also it was very straightforward- that said it seemed pretty similar to prior hscs, i'd just say it would be kinda similar only include some diagram drawing and mabey one of those tables with information technology and participants and processes and all...
hmmm
yeah i did the CSSA trial - I was under the impression that these papers are harder than the actual HSC - BUT .. so far, that hasnt been the case!

The funny thing is they dont always have drawings of a major sort (DFDs etc) however it's becoming increasingly common.

Hmm .. what table do you mean when you say "mabey one of those tables with information technology and participants and processes and all..." Is that for the .. like *argh runs to text book to see what it's called* *cant find it*
the one where the have the purpose, processes (COASPTD) and then IT/participants & users/Data & info?
hmm . .well i like those
=P
lol

btw - how did your trials go?

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
hmmm
yeah i did the CSSA trial - I was under the impression that these papers are harder than the actual HSC - BUT .. so far, that hasnt been the case!

The funny thing is they dont always have drawings of a major sort (DFDs etc) however it's becoming increasingly common.

Hmm .. what table do you mean when you say "mabey one of those tables with information technology and participants and processes and all..." Is that for the .. like *argh runs to text book to see what it's called* *cant find it*
the one where the have the purpose, processes (COASPTD) and then IT/participants & users/Data & info?
hmm . .well i like those
=P
lol

btw - how did your trials go?
haha, yea, those tables- i dont know what their called but they were in every option question of an hsc a few years back, but they good as you said cause they tell you everything to do. lol

trials were pretty good, got 85, probably should have gotten over 90 but i lost marks on some stuff cause i was too lazy to include everything and my hand was hurting, still topped it though which was good, how bout u?

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha, yea, those tables- i dont know what their called but they were in every option question of an hsc a few years back, but they good as you said cause they tell you everything to do. lol

trials were pretty good, got 85, probably should have gotten over 90 but i lost marks on some stuff cause i was too lazy to include everything and my hand was hurting, still topped it though which was good, how bout u?
awwwwww dayymmmmittt!!
there go my hopes of gettin in the top 5%!

argh
crappy crappy mark of 79%
*angry*

LOL

just gotta work harder to get up there in the exam!
=P

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
awwwwww dayymmmmittt!!
there go my hopes of gettin in the top 5%!

argh
crappy crappy mark of 79%
*angry*

LOL

just gotta work harder to get up there in the exam!
=P
haha, 79 is pretty good, you would have come second in my class- and you dont know how your teacher marks in comparison to the state! If you've dont some study and are confident about the course you should be just fine... knowing most of the info should get you a high mark i would think.

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha, 79 is pretty good, you would have come second in my class- and you dont know how your teacher marks in comparison to the state! If you've dont some study and are confident about the course you should be just fine... knowing most of the info should get you a high mark i would think.
oOoooooo - yaynesssssss!!

hmm we shall see how okay it shall be

woot

im excited - semi-excited bout ipt!

=)

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
oOoooooo - yaynesssssss!!

hmm we shall see how okay it shall be

woot

im excited - semi-excited bout ipt!

=)
haha, yea- we'll always see... semi excited is good- hoping for a good exam and it should be a good day! lol

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha, yea- we'll always see... semi excited is good- hoping for a good exam and it should be a good day! lol
i just hope it's not too hot
and it doesnt rain

both are gonna make me wanna go run around outside!

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
haha- concentrate on exam, not singing in the rain- lol, i dont think our exam place has windows, wel it does but with blinds on them- just better not be thunder cause that would be really distracting!

HSC
N/A
skyrockets1530 said:
haha- concentrate on exam, not singing in the rain- lol, i dont think our exam place has windows, wel it does but with blinds on them- just better not be thunder cause that would be really distracting!
ohhh daymmmmm
rain or shine im gonna wanna be outside singin and dancing and just runnin around
hope it's kinda chilly - so yeah .. i wont wanna be outside!

oOoo .. and i hope there's no spider on my table this time
nasty thing attacked me twice in the math exam!

*it wasnt teeny either!
>.<

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
ohhh daymmmmm
rain or shine im gonna wanna be outside singin and dancing and just runnin around
hope it's kinda chilly - so yeah .. i wont wanna be outside!

oOoo .. and i hope there's no spider on my table this time
nasty thing attacked me twice in the math exam!

*it wasnt teeny either!
>.<
hahaha, a spider in the exam?? thats pretty annoying, i hope the examiner helped remove it or something, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)