• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Curious quiry (1 Viewer)

darkwaters

HSC
helllo, i want to do civil engineering, but thinking about building roads and bridges are not really my tastes, but rather building high rise buildings, apartments,units, shopping complexes.... which degree suits my interests: civil engineering or construction management? (i wanna go to uws)

which course would allow a person to be able to know how to build a house from scrath to completion??
which would be able to start its own construction company?
also, which pays more and has better opportunities?

plzzz help me
i cant decide between the 2
i soreta sitting on the fence

thank you very much
any help would be appreciated

pottsy44

HSC
darkwaters said:
can civil engineers become 'property developers'??
i dont see why not, but wouldnt it be a better idea to do a property degree?

also i would suggest the construction management over the engineering degree on what you have said.

you dont even need a degree to be a property developer, you just need to have knowledge of the market and how market will develop and where prices will go up/down etc.

if you want to get a good base to becoming a property developer i would suggest becoming a real estate agent.

this information is all on the basis that would would be working for yourself and not a big property developer ie stocklands, if this is the cases you would need a degree, but a better degree for property development would be a business or commerce degree majoring in property.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
darkwaters said:
building high rise buildings, apartments,units, shopping complexes....
how to build a house from scrath to completion??
architecture?
unless you mean physical building...

darkwaters

HSC
so you think that my interests lead into a construction management degree rather then a civil engineering degree, what are the disadvantages and advantages of both degree?...if any1 can elaborate

thx

pottsy44

HSC
darkwaters said:
so you think that my interests lead into a construction management degree rather then a civil engineering degree, what are the disadvantages and advantages of both degree?...if any1 can elaborate

thx
i havnt really weighed up the disadvantages personally but the construction degree is 4 years and an engineering degree is 4-5 years depending on uni.

you must do work experience in a construction management degree this could be a positive or a negative depending on the person/situation.

contact hours at uni - CM 12-18hrs FT, ENG 18-25hrs (more likely the latter) FT

i would say the eng degree would be harder but dont take my word. the construction economics in the CM degree gets challenging in later years.

-----------------

sorry i skimmed the post quick before ill answer the questions.

which course would allow a person to be able to know how to build a house from scrath to completion??
Construction Management (no way would this be possible with any other degree besides a Housing or similar degree)

Both, but this is not really viable. usually tradespeople do this.

both pay very good if you are in the right place. 100k+ is very achievable for a hard working person who is 5yrs post grad. and achievable for a lesser person if you add a few years. salaries in this industry trick you as alot of ones income is made up in bonuses for when you win tenders and the like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)