• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cycling on Footpaths? (1 Viewer)

ahsc08er

HSC
It says this on a Victorian cycling site, but it says these laws are in line with laws in NSW. I am not sure on that though, probably is. I want answers based on NSW :S...

http://www.bv.com.au/bikes-and-riding/10381/

People aged 12 years of age or older are not permitted to ride their bicycles on the footpath, unless they:

• Are aged over 18 years of age and are accompanying a child who is under 12 years of age and the child is under the rider's supervision.

• Have a medical or an intellectual disability and have a certificate signed by a medical practitioner that states that it is undesirable, impractical or inexpedient for them to ride on the road.

• Are engaged in the delivery of postal articles for or on behalf of Australia Post.
Say someone had a disability in areas like:

breathing (can have complications breathing in highly stressful environments, such as the road)

or

hearing (if not able to hear traffic well - likely to crash than someone with same skill who hears fine :S).

Doesn't a disability like that already imply that it would be undesirable to ride on the road, thus making a medical certificate merely and inconvenience to parties involved?

Do you think you still need one in that case? Or would the police assume that if you have hearing aids on or some device that helps with breathing near you, your not suitable for the road.

Crates

Banned
HSC
I've never heard of this law, and it seems pretty bizarre to me. I think you should get a certificate because if you don't, it's hard to prove what you claim and you may end up with a fine.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Harden the fuck up.
2. It's an eminently sensible law. Footpaths are for walking.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
in my opinion those aren't good excuses for riding on the footpath. Pedestrians need it to walk on and it'd be dangerous for both parties. you should really be riding on the road since it's safer (not to mention it's faster and cars are supposed to leave you a certain amount of space, in Vic at least).

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
ah yeah.

i was riding on the footpath once,
and this bitch of an old llady yells at me to go ride on the road,
and that the footpath is for pedestrians only

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)