• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dame Edna Everage, of all people. (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
There are two people in this world: The Dame and the damned.

For my IP, I'm trying to jump-ship and become one with my inner-Everage. But, there's one problem: I'm stuck...drag.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any thoughts or meditations on Everage? Like thoughts, means of presentation or allegories?

Anything would be welcome as doing drama at Batlow - think Western NSW...home of those supple apples, being the first drama class in 4 years and only having 3 other people to talk to about this makes HSC very, very, very hard.

Oh, and lastly...I'm male.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hello Gavrillo!
A Batlow boy eh? I'm Katie, from Albury. Yay for Riverina! Just a quick question before I get onto your stuff...did you go to Riverina Drama Camp? Ever?

As for the Dame. She is a most outstanding character to do, so...Dame like. (Couldn't find a word). But I fear that it would be a severely difficult character to pull of...also, there is the fact that the Dame is actually a character already created...so your interpretation would have to severely differ from the original Dame by Barry Humphries. Otherwise, the markers might find it grounds to mark you down...as the Dame is a well publicised performer.

As for Drag...It's sounding like your trying to avoid the 'drag' concept. Which in all honesty is a good thing. We had a delightful boy in our class play a 'trannie/singing/dancing/caberet machine'...and although it was entertaining...it did not score highly. Remember that it is supposed to be a piece of substance...not a slapstick comedy routine.

Being the first Drama class at Batlow for 4 years...have you seen onstage? Or have you seen any other HSC IP Performances? It would be a good idea that you saw some before going too much further...just so you've reassured yourself that you're on the right track.

I know I didn't ask 'the question' you posed, however interpretation wise...I can't really see the Dame...as anything but Barry's Dame.

Any more Qs, feel free to ask us all.
Cheers,
Katie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)