Database for finding chemicals produced by bacteria (1 Viewer)

QweliOcayas

HSC
Heyo. I'm looking around to see if there are any online databases that may help with a project I'm working on. It involves Genetical Engineering using Ti Plasmids. I'm looking to find if there is a discovered bacteria that produce Glutaraldehyde in a significant amount or how I would even begin such an endeavor.
Ideally, I'm looking for some sort of website/database that would allow me to search through discovered bacteria and their known products but if that is not something that is created yet I am very open to any suggestions.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Have you looked at the MACADAM database?
This link is to their query form where there is also an option to download their whole database. http://macadam.toulouse.inra.fr/
I didn’t download the database, but from the absence of glutaraldehyde as a dropdown options in the ‘metabolite’ field, it doesn’t look as if glutaraldehyde is a metabolite they have studies/detected in significant quantities, which is unsurprising given it is a biocidal agent, but perhaps you are just wanting to confirm this, instead of trying to actually find such an organism. You could always contact the database curators to find out about the method(s) used to generate the metabolomic profiles and therefore confirm that glutaraldehyde is a metabolite that they would have been able to detect but wasn’t present.

Last edited:

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Glutaraldehyde is manufactured by an industrial process.
There are no reports of natural occurrence of glutaraldehyde in the literature.

Given that it is considered to have universal antimicrobial activity via alkylation of hydroxyl, carbonyl and amino groups, which affects DNA, RNA and protein synthesis, it would be extraordinary to find a microorganism which could produce it in significant quantities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)