• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dealing with older people (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I suck at talking to people who are much older than me. What can I talk to them about? These people are probably too jaded to even care about what you say.

CitYgiRL

HSC
I have the same prob. im working at a place where almost everyone is older than me, and at lunch i usually just sit around and listen to everyone talking. Their interests just seem so different to mine that whatever input i have for the conversation would be totally irrelevant to them.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ummm well we have alot of full time oldies at my work and we usually talk about work related things.. or i ask about their kids or what they have planned for their weekend.. but luckily theres alot more school/uni people that i usually end up working with
dealing with older customers they dont really buy much unless its a home delivery.. so there isnt too much time to chat anyway, but its usually pretty general like hows ur day.. hows the weather.. have u got any plans for this afternoon etc

elisabeth

HSC
Well I work at a pharmacy, so most of the people are old-ish - both the customers and the other workers. But you know, we have a 70 yr old pharmacist and I get on with him great. You just have to find something to joke about with them, something that they like or something - Peter and I speak German to each other, Celia and I talk about the weather, I ask Patricia how university is.

Customers, you just need to ask something about their day or ask how the weather is outsidce (lol, only try that if you're in the middle of a shopping center).

People at work, I'll generally just ask about their weekend when I first come in... because I don't get lunch breaks. If they volunteer more information, we'll have a little chat. Then they'll ask me about school or something. If not, well that's OK, I'll just get on with my work.

Sometimes I like it just as much as working with young people. You know, they're not so different... they've just had more life experience. Everyone was young once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)