• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Death of the Original Story (1 Viewer)

Liza-LaBoheme

Inside a cave, hiding under blankets while strokin
HSC
Does anyone have just a straight-shooting old fashioned linear narrative. you know...with character development and a single plot line. everyone seems to be using their own version of postmodernism (whatever that means) in an ATTEMPT to be original. quite threatening really...

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
... I think you'll find the majority of people do the "old fashioned" narrative. At least, that's what I thought. But we all know nothing's original anymore :p

Alimoe_KG

HSC
haha true. But if you look out long enough...eventually you will snag somethign original. The stuff in showcase are a testament to that.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
It is not very common to find EE2 students using the traditional OCER structure of narrative in their Major Works. Part of this can be attributed to the Board of Studies gratuitous (and somewhat moronic) weakness for Postmodern ambiguity, and part of it can be attributed to the desire to find a unique form of expression. The Major Work allows students the room to be emotionally creative or "conceptual" composers, rather than simply rational (oftentimes avant-garde creativity is mistaken for Postmodernism; and sometimes students simply throw in references to Postmodernism to garner extra marks). That being said, however, I believe that the best creative pieces (regardless of what the markers gave them) are the ones in which creativity is tempered by clarity and understanding - so that the work is not simply an ambiguous mess, but a harmonious union of form and ideas. Most teenagers, however, have a tendency towards angst in their writing (sometimes just in an attempt to make it seem "profound") and this becomes legitimised by relatavistic philosophies espoused by the Postmodern bandwagon.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I apologise for being verbose :) - sometimes I get carried away.

rachael230

i'm doing a linear narrative.
or at least i think i am.
i agree, its really intimidating hearing about all this postmodernist stuff (which i usually just write off as a complete wank). im so scared that my work wont be original or quirky enough to grab the markers attention, especially with postmodernism and absurdism to compete with! that sort of stuff is the empitome of quirky!
eek
*quietly goes mad*

Alimoe_KG

HSC
rachael230 said:
i'm doing a linear narrative.
or at least i think i am.
i agree, its really intimidating hearing about all this postmodernist stuff (which i usually just write off as a complete wank). im so scared that my work wont be original or quirky enough to grab the markers attention, especially with postmodernism and absurdism to compete with! that sort of stuff is the empitome of quirky!
eek
*quietly goes mad*
u realise...it could be just that your idea is postmodern and quirky O.O", not necessarily your way of writing. Most of the pomo and absurdist stuff you seem to be afraid off are basically irrelevent crappy stories that tries to pass off as intellectual. And the markers will be able to tell. So if you're doing a linear narrative, but your IDEA is pomo and unique, i'm sure that will grab more attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)