• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Decision To Pick Up Extension - Workload Concerns (1 Viewer)

Lanalor

HSC
Hey everybody,
Well I'm a long time reader first time poster lol but I have found no threads that suit my question so I though I might ask it myself ;)

I am currently just starting year 12 and have decided to pick up EE2 and Extension History. The school I go to requires that any students picking up extension courses for year 12 have an interview and in my particular interview I was told that it was fine for me to pick up either one or the other of EE2 or Extension History, but not both.

I was told that although I have the capability, the cirriculum co-ordinator told me that the workload in these two subjects is perhaps too much for me to handle and by studying them I would detract from my other 10 units.

At the moment I am wondering whether or not to just keep extension history and not pick up EE2 or pick up both as my original intentions were.

I have a passion for english and history and really think that I will enjoy both courses and after speaking to my english teacher today she belives that I again have the capability and believes I would do well but my other subjects may suffer
:(

So any thoughts on what I should do?

Last edited:

gorgo31

HSC
Force them to allow you to do both. I did both, happily. The workload for EE2 is not enormous, just consistent. Same with the History Extension major work, which after being submitted, just turns into a course centred around an exam of two questions. I strongly advise you to put forward a good case to your school for doing both.

So many people think EE2 will detract from your other subjects. I'm sorry, but in my experience at least, that doesn't readily happen. What does, and will, detract from your other subjects is procrastination. And that's universal :)

Lanalor

HSC
Thanks gorgo31 :)

Well I was told that although I am going against advice it is possible for me to pick up both the only condition being that my parents have to be informed by the school. Also there is an information day that my school is going to for english and the have an EE2 section there, I think I will check it out before I make a final decision.

HSC
N/A
A fair few of my friends did both the history extension and EE2 (I think ujuphleg and PwarYuex did as well, will have to check). I imagine they both had head-bashing moments (but that happens in ALL extension courses) but enjoyed what they did.

I'm actually quite amused by the school saying they'll "inform the parents". Juggling two major works is actually perfectly do-able provided you plan well and don't try and do something impossible (and even when you do... *cough* most students are able to pull it off and keep all limbs attached. Boy oh boy do us 04's have some funny stories in regards to speed-finishing! haha!). Juggling three MW's gets more interesting, and juggling FIVE (as one of the girls from my high school did this year) is where we start hitting the stupendous levels of "omg...." *jaw drop*

But two is fine. :) If you really want to do it, that passion should motivate you to see it through :)

^^ hear hear about the procrastination thing. Here in EE2 we try to make it easy for you with How To's, the Hurdling Thread and Progress Report thread (in addition to a bunch of ideas Justin and I are cooking up for next year), I figure Hist Ext does the same.

HSC
i had barely written 3000 words for my short story the week before it was due, averaged about 96% throught the year with assessments.
It is possible to wing EE2, but from my point of view- the stress isn't exactly worth leaving it to the last minute.
Still hoping for a 45+/50 though which i should get :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)