decisions decisions... (1 Viewer)

ballin

Banned
HSC
Any advice is welcome. So i just missed out on Combined Law at Sydney and am doing Arts instead. I'm having a really hard time deciding whether i want to transfer straight into combined law after first year (provided my marks are good enough), or whether i want to finish my BA and then look to do Grad Law.

Things I am currently considering - I would like to keep the BA in order to complete 2 majors (Sociology and Philosophy). Im unsure as to how difficult/easy it is to maintain a high credit/distinction avg over 3 years, ie. I'm worried that if i dont transfer, my marks might somehow drop and i wont be able to get into grad law.

Questions - 1 - If i do get into grad law, do my fees for that simply accumulate onto the HECS that i accumulated during my BA? 2 - If i choose to do honours for my BA, would that be completed simultaneously with my first year of grad law? and 3 - If i do transfer after first year, is it at all possible to come back and complete a second major for my BA? like if i finish my BA and start fourth-year full time law studies, is there anyway I can undertake extra Arts subjects and do a second major?

Any help is appreciated :)

doink

Clone
HSC
Well you can always transfer into Arts/LLB at Sydney and then you will be doing both anyway and you don't lose any majors (i think) or credit points that you have already attained in the degree especially since you are inside the uni.

Yes your HECS will simply be added upon continually until you start earning > $40,000 after which it will be taken as extra from tax.

If you do honours in BA then you cannot do Grad Law, basically you cannot be enrolled into two separate courses unless a combined degree is offered due to timetable issues, so you have to choose either grad law or honours BA, you can always do grad law after honours year.

I'm not sure if you can pick up extra subjects and im not sure you would want to especially since grad law is really intensive in terms of amount of work you have to do over 3 years.

Hope this helps.

ballin

Banned
HSC
in that case, how long may i use the HECS system whilst at university? I've been hearing 8 years but not sure if this is true.

and also >> http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/artslaws_ov.shtml

as you can see, you do lose the ability to complete 2 BA majors if you do combined law... which sucks because i really wanted to do 2. so its basically all about do i do combined law after 1 year and miss out on a major or do i stick through the BA and do grad law? how hard would it be to obtain high cred avg?

thanks

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
you stay and do sociology kent, sif you cant keep up high credit average >_>

jcfiction

HSC
N/A
SUP DIKSA
hahaha man what happened to film? sociology better tickles your wickle?

i think you should give transferring after first year a serious consideration - are you really gonna miss that second major? why not just do philosophy - i dont think you should worry about the whole HECs thing too much, it sounds like you got it covered now anyway, but the real question is whether an extra year of uni is worth it just because you wanna major in sociology so much

besides, as you said, you might miss out on grad law. if you do miss out on grad law, you will regret not having gone for a transfer the first year

if i was niksa (not that i would want to be niksa) i would go for a transfer during the arts degree (its pretty competitive dont just think you ll get it) into combined law, and only then if i dont make it i would wait till i finish arts and then see if i can study grad law

if you can transfer just go for it. come on, be a man. unless you are really starving for that sociology major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)