deriving the formula for velocity on a banked track (1 Viewer)

neuvie

HSC
where does the formula v=sqrt(gr tan theta) come from? i tried searching it up on google but it gives an explanation mentioning some laws we dont do, and when i asked my physics teacher i was told that its extremely unlikely or that we will pretty much never be asked to derive it, but i am just interested in knowing how it goes.

wollongong warrior

HSC
1724066912980.png
Equate forces parallel with the track
Equate forces perpendicular to the track
Ncos(theta) = ... -(1)
Nsin(theta) = ... -(2)
Divide (2) by (1)
Make v the subject

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
where does the formula v=sqrt(gr tan theta) come from? i tried searching it up on google but it gives an explanation mentioning some laws we dont do, and when i asked my physics teacher i was told that its extremely unlikely or that we will pretty much never be asked to derive it, but i am just interested in knowing how it goes.
you are meant to derive it before you use it though?

neuvie

HSC
you are meant to derive it before you use it though?
yeah we do learn to derive it i guess (i didnt pay much attention in class so here i am asking questions), then we typically just work it out in the derived form but then i often forget/dont understand how to derive it :(

FudiddidoAdrian

HSC
yeah we do learn to derive it i guess (i didnt pay much attention in class so here i am asking questions), then we typically just work it out in the derived form but then i often forget/dont understand how to derive it :(
ok so you split the normal force which goes up against the objects mass and gravity.

using that photo you get

Nsintheta = mv^/r (Fc) centripetal force

Ncostheta = mg

then you rearrange Ncostheta = mg to get N= mg/costheta

sub N into First equation so it becomes mgtantheta (sin/cos) = mv^/r

then you solve for v and you should get the v=sqrt(grtantheta)

even tho i helped you derive it it is important for you to understand it step by step, you should watch someone like scienceready on yt as he goes over the hsc syllabus for phys, hope this helps!

neuvie

HSC
ok so you split the normal force which goes up against the objects mass and gravity.

using that photo you get

Nsintheta = mv^/r (Fc) centripetal force

Ncostheta = mg

then you rearrange Ncostheta = mg to get N= mg/costheta

sub N into First equation so it becomes mgtantheta (sin/cos) = mv^/r

then you solve for v and you should get the v=sqrt(grtantheta)

even tho i helped you derive it it is important for you to understand it step by step, you should watch someone like scienceready on yt as he goes over the hsc syllabus for phys, hope this helps!
thank you very much for your explanation! i had just watched the video about circular motion by scienceready today and now i noted it in my book, appreciate the replies everyone :jump:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)