Designing + Building A Generator. :O (1 Viewer)

iheartzyou

HSC
For my physics assignment, we must Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect and magnetic induction. \=

So basically, we need to design and build a generator. :lol:

Any ideas on how to do this and where to start :) Websites and other sources are also helpful. Thanks! :D

jamesfirst

HSC
If you're going to answer like that... don't even post at all

that doesn't help the OP whatsoever.

and to OP, are you sure there is a dot point 'Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect and magnetic induction' ???

there's only 'Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect'

hscishard

HSC
So basically, we need to design and build a generator. :lol:

Huh? to build a generator? Thats not what this" Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect and magnetic induction. \=" said

Though if you do manage to build a generator, that'll be cool. It does sound like you're going to have to buy some crap though

hscishard

HSC

and to OP, are you sure there is a dot point 'Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect and magnetic induction' ???

there's only 'Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect'
There is, I think he meant the magnet and coil one

jamesfirst

HSC
"perform an investigation to model the generation of an electric current by moving a magnet in a coil or a coil near a magnet" ????

Well that's not what the OP posted.

iheartzyou

HSC
Sorry For The Late Reply.
But what i wrote as the first post is what the teacher gave to the students -.-'
Also, I think Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect and magnetic induction is just one dot point, but the teacher edited it.

But thats not important at the moment :\
I just need help in building a simple generator that produces voltage, thats it. :lol:
I just dont know where to start and i need a procedure to help me ):

Thanks Again.

iheartzyou

HSC

I Think that is the dot point our teacher was referring to. :eek:.

jamesfirst

HSC
Pretty sure the motor effect only applies to motors not generators.

But to build a generator you need:

Stator: permanent magnet or electromagnet. Electromagnet is better because you can switch it on or off.
Rotor: Armature and the coils wounded onto it.
Battery or power supply
Connecting wires

AC gen: Slip rings
DC gen: Split ring commutator

As for the design, it's same as a motor. A typical DC motor's design applies for DC generators:

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/49439-electric-motor-illustration.jpeg

As for the equipments, I presume your teacher will supply the equipments for you =)

As for the guide in how to build it... I presume your teacher will give you a manual =P

If not check this out: http://www.ehow.com/how_4843047_build-dc-generator.html

Oh and there is a simple AC generator and much more sophisticated ones like the three phase generators. Because it's a high school assessment, just focus on the simple AC generator. Sorry I can't find a guide for building an ac generator =(

Remember: Generators generate EMF by induced torque. So perhaps you'll need some sort of handle on the rotor to rotate the rotor =P

iheartzyou

HSC
Pretty sure the motor effect only applies to motors not generators.

But to build a generator you need:

Stator: permanent magnet or electromagnet. Electromagnet is better because you can switch it on or off.
Rotor: Armature and the coils wounded onto it.
Battery or power supply
Connecting wires

AC gen: Slip rings
DC gen: Split ring commutator

As for the design, it's same as a motor. A typical DC motor's design applies for DC generators:

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/49439-electric-motor-illustration.jpeg

As for the equipments, I presume your teacher will supply the equipments for you =)

As for the guide in how to build it... I presume your teacher will give you a manual =P

If not check this out: http://www.ehow.com/how_4843047_build-dc-generator.html

Oh and there is a simple AC generator and much more sophisticated ones like the three phase generators. Because it's a high school assessment, just focus on the simple AC generator. Sorry I can't find a guide for building an ac generator =(

Remember: Generators generate EMF by induced torque. So perhaps you'll need some sort of handle on the rotor to rotate the rotor =P

I was thinking that as well with the motor effect, but i guess our teacher may be referring to the rotation of the coil? I dont know. ={

Also, i know what equipment is needed and what a simple generator looks like and how it works (thanks for the picture by the way =]), its just how do i put all the equipment together hehe. =\

So I think this website you gave me: http://www.ehow.com/how_4843047_build-dc-generator.html should help =D

And our teacher didnt give us equipment or a manual to build the generator ):
It was simply just to design and build a generator LOL. d=

But thanks for your help jamesfirst, i couldnt have done it without you. :L
and dont be sorry about finding a guide to building an AC generator, you have helped enough ;].

jamesfirst

HSC
In our school, we only built DC motors.

And manual came with the equipment...

We didn't build a generator. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)