Did your study for paper 1 pay off in the end? (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My prepared story and memorised essay really did pay off, as it meant I didn't have to construct from scratch and waste precious exam time in the process.

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
Yea it did very well, my prepared essay fitted well

passion89

HSC
I didn't memorise my essay but my study of the concepts surrounding the journeys presented in my texts really did pay off. I was pretty happy with today's essay.
I had a creative piece prepared that I only had to tweak just a little to comply with the opening sentence.

I didn't study for section 1 and yeah found it the hardest.

rusty123

HSC
same as pLuvia... i had to add in another half-story about the old guy though, which happened concurrently as he told his "last story" which was my prepared one. i studied some major points for q1, specially for the 5-marker, but only had 5 mins to do it so mostly forgot them and bs'ed :worried:

HSC
I didn't memorise things. You can never tell if the question will be helpful or a hindrance to what you have. I did a summary of my best essay, which was a straight 15/15, and took all the main points of each text and the quotes, anything that can be applied to any question. Intros and conclusions are built from scratch.

Creative writing, I adapted a 15.15 story following the same storyline but adapting it for a recount instead of a present-tense story. And so on.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Pretty much. But had to rush the creative, and consequently pull out a lot of stuff.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
pffft i was walking in expecting to ace it since i full on prepared my creative and essay...but ended up getting owned by Section I

so even if i do FUCKING GREAT in section II and III, section I will just screw up the entire average

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
It did sorta, I had alot to write about in section 3 and kept linking it back to initial question. In section 2 I was hoping to show of my poetry skills with a few poems. I only planned to do 3 poems which go as follows.
"Now,"
"Before,"
"After,"

and fabricate a poem (depending on what they might give us if anything). If there was nothing I was thinking about making an extended metaphor as in the metamorphosis of a butterfly. Now hower being the Butterfly, Before being the Cocoon and After being the Caterpillar. (I'd explain but... meh...)

Instead I wrote a story about war. Old man, telling kid a secret... I just went BAM a war story. I really sucked at it though, because the whole time he was just 'telling' the story in 1st person. There was not much action and stuff it was just. "We showed no remorse WE COULDN'T" he exaggerated. "Then bla bla bla" he suggested. I actually used alliteration and stuff though haha... eg;("...the parched prisoner pleaded with me for pint of water.")

Haha... Section 1, was pretty much the same for all of us. They asked questions which weren't about techniques but really about comprehension. I answered it the way they asked, with 'close reference to the text' and everyone else always incorporated techniques. (Hopefully they don't PENALise me for actually doing what they asked.)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I think it definitely did. One of the best things about doing that exam, aside from of course having one less exam to do, was leaving the room knowing that I studied as well as I could and I really did my best. It was a good feeling.

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
Definitely. No major changes for both section II and III as both were fairly flexible. Section II paid off big time as I only needed to add a title and used that quote as a paradigm. The rest was copy & paste as memorised, word for word. Section III was pretty much the same except most of my study consisted of studying my main points and quotes (unlike the creative writing task - i hate memorising things word for word. i felt like a computer after that test). I added a couple of sentences in each paragraph to my original essay and made it bend to my favour. Looking back now, probably not as good as my prepared essay but should be suffice.

Best wishes to you all in Paper 2.

maskd

HSC
I guess I was pretty lucky, because the day before the paper I had an ephiphany, just try and prove the module/elective statement in all the texts, and that's basically what the question asked :)

I am now just proving the module/elective statements for all the modules now. And not doing any waffle, if i dont get at least 15/20 for all the sections, im calling some SERIOUS shinanigans on the BOS.. seriously..

melfiney

HSC
definetly because even though section 3 dident exactly fit my sort of generic essay, it wasent a difficult questioin to manipulate.

BUT study for section one didnt majorly pay off because obviously we dont no what we will be given. but at least it helped me know how much i needed to write for ea. q and how to manage my time etc

hannahxxx

HSC
Mine did for sect 2 and 3...but not for the unseen bit :( I did 10 unseen practice papers over the hols, yet I still screwed up the section. i didn't realise that wanderlust was an imaginative journey( I thought she really was experiencing travelling to those places).....I can't believe how incredibly STUPID I was....my friends did nowhere near as much study as I did and they still understood the poem...but that always happens to me-I always do more study than everyone else and get a lower mark. It's the story of my life really.

ScottyGEE

HSC
me ingrish studeez benefitted me muchly I tink umpossible phail.

square-nothing

HSC
my essay payed off it even was abut speculation but my prepared story didn't in the slightest. i was not happy!!

UrielDevil

HSC
Oh, i hated Section II!! My prepared creative writing piece could be most effectively adapted to either second or third person but nooooooo they had to give us a quote in first person... Just my luck :(

Those unseen texts were crap though, especially the novel extract. 80% of the state wouldn't know where the location it was talking about even is (Katoomba), which was probably a disadvantage overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)