• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Didn't Get Into Uni ?? (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Hi ... (I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum),
I'm in Year 12 this year (i.e Class of '04') and I don't have a clue about what I want to do for a career. So I'm lost as to whether or not I should go to UNI, or try something else. Does anyone know what u can do if u don't go to UNI, like what opions do I have ?? apprenticeships etc.....

I know it's a bit early to be thinking 'bout it, but i doubt I'll get a very HIGH UAI (aiming for 80 though)

Thanx 4 any help ...

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
I think the best thing you can do in your situation is to simply work as hard as you can and see where your results take you.
There are several options you can take. If you miss out on university you can simply go to tafe and if you feel the need return to university as a mature age student.
You can apply for all the apprenticeships that exist. However you have to be certain of what you want to do for a career.
If all else fails you can simply attempt to attain a job and try and move up the corporate ladder.
Sitting for the public service exams could also be an option. However that does depend on if you want to become a public servant.
In all honesty though I think its way to early to be thinking about your after school options. In my view the best thing you can do is aim high and see what happens. You just might surprise yourself.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Hey Graig, thanx alot for the help man .... that's good advice, I'll just aim high and c what happens. :)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by Lazy Lankan
Hey Graig, thanx alot for the help man .... that's good advice, I'll just aim high and c what happens. :)
It's actually Craig, not Graig, but thats cool. Good luck with it all.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Hey, I felt exactly like that when I was in year 12 :) My advice is not to stress about it- just try your best and everything will eventually fall into place. Even if you don't get a great mark its not the end of the world, there are always ways to get what you want if you want it enough

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Choose a course in uni base on your best subject in the HSC.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
LOL at career advisers there paid to lie to you about the hsc.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Nah they just don't know what their talking about and lie to feel smart ;)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
my friend was stuck in the same situation so I'll ask you now- what was your impression of your work experience week? If that hasn't given you an idea about what you'd like to do, it should at least help you to eliminate some possibilties- there are so many courses to choose from.
You should read the JobGuide published anually by the DEYTA in order to get a fair indicatio of wha you'd like to do. Also, I don't know if your school has it but try the career voyage program- it suggests careers based on your interests and skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)