• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

difference between catholic schools and public schools (1 Viewer)

besbes

HSC
hey,
i reckon that our school is really behind on our topics.

eg. mathematics:
- we have JUST started learning stimultaneous whilst other schools had done them ages ago

eg. english:
- year 7s from Danebank have already done what we did what we did in term 2 [ads, vector lines etc.]

is it just OUR school? or am i just being paranoid? i feel as if our school is falling behind, and at the last minute they might cram everything in at the same time. which will totally overwhelm us.

also, i used to go to North Shore tutoring college, and the mathematics topics they were doing, i had no idea about, but other students in my class [which are in the same grade as me] did, and they could get it easily. but the people who were from our school had no idea. the teacher also didnt want to teach us it in detail because the rest of the class already knew how to do it.

I feel as if comparing our schools so others, our knowledge is less. Will I have a disadvantage in the SC/HSC? our school is semi-private, we pay like $1000-$2000 as our school fees every year.

Please help out.
Much appreciated.
=]

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Well, cathlic schools spent alot of times trying to shove religious ideas into you, thats probably one reason. You and other kids in the same year get the same amount of time studying the core subjects, so there shouldnt be any disadvantages for you, unless your teacher wastes time, and he/she is a idiot. I go to a comprehensive high school, the only thing i remember i learnt in math is that crap call "the box and whisker plot", the rest of math topics i learnt by myself or at tutoring.
AS for english....my teachers had taught me nothing over the last 4 year.................i dono even know what vector lines are!

And for catholic schools, their education is religion based, and that could be the reason that lags you behind

Last edited:

James747

HSC
Probably its just the crappy teachers, which comes as no surprise...

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Yeah i have the same problem, but our school is generally just heaps shit ...crappy teachers, don't really have any really smart people. Altough luckily for me i'm going to a selective next year, so hopefully i'll be alright. :)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I quote from today's geography lesson
Student: Miss, in the geography syllabus one of the points said something in about the immigration policy of australia
Teacher "Student name", i dont really know.........

I mean you dont call yourself a teacher not even knowing the syllabus knowledge.

topdeck

HSC
I don't even know what a vector line is! I go to a comprehensive high school and there is a real mix between quality teachers and dodgy ones. For example, my english teacher doesn't deserve his pay packet: i have done zero work over the past two years and have learnt nothing. However, people at my school are too lazy to care, and therefore, when we get into the senior years, we will be seriously disadvantaged. So, although you may think you are behind, you are probably streaks ahead of schools like mine. That being said, my history teacher is one of the most dedicated and passionate people i have ever met. If you, as an individual are dedicated however, you can achieve, no matter what school you are at. My advice would be to get a hold of the syllabus and know what is in your courses. If you havn't done the right content or are severley behind, hold your teachers accountable and talk to them, or your head teacher. Your schooling and hsc is too important to be jeopardised by lazy or inneficient teahcers.

James747

HSC
Learn the stuff by yourself, that's what ive been doing for most of subjects anyway [unfortunately]

Iq

HSC
i go to a catholic skool and think ur a bit harsh in saying in saying Quote"cathlic schools spent alot of times trying to shove religious ideas into you". Sure we have religion classes, but we only have them twice a week and thats only a 50mins class. We may have a mass once in a blue moon, but most of my skool life is based upon maths, english and science. and there is no mention of religion in our skool except at assemblies and at religion class.

Really, i see no difference in the catholic and public skools itself, instead of with the commitement teachers have to giving you an education.

Iq

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Iq said:
i go to a catholic skool and think ur a bit harsh in saying in saying Quote"cathlic schools spent alot of times trying to shove religious ideas into you". Sure we have religion classes, but we only have them twice a week and thats only a 50mins class. We may have a mass once in a blue moon, but most of my skool life is based upon maths, english and science. and there is no mention of religion in our skool except at assemblies and at religion class.

Really, i see no difference in the catholic and public skools itself, instead of with the commitement teachers have to giving you an education.

Iq
Yehp

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Iq said:

Iq
I got some friends that goes to real conservative religious schools, i have as well. And i am not generalising here, but its just from what i know.

skip89

HSC
I've been at the same catholic high school since yr 7 and I know what you are talking about regarding being behind other schools. I doubt it's the religion stuff though, possibly your teacher are being thorough or maybe your classmates are just slow. I wouldn't worry about it affecting your HSC though. Once you start yr 11 everything is pretty much set lesson by lesson to cover every syllabus dot point specifically, so there is a lot more pressure on the teacher to get through the work.

All in all, listen to Iq, he's right.

Iq

HSC
Thanks for supporting me Chiisora and skip89

Also dont forget, its not the school that matters but how much ur willing to apply urself.

cheers
Iq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)