Difference between reliability and accuracy? (1 Viewer)

InHa

HSC
Hi I've got a question which I'm not too sure if it belongs in the Chemistry section, but can somebody please differentiate between accuracy and reliability? I'm confused when it comes to pracs. I know that improving reliability can involve repetition. But that's about it. What else does the reliability involve? And same goes for accuracy?
Thanks

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

the zumdahl analogy.

Last edited:

Plebeian

Hey In-Ha, it's me Michael from your chem class. :)

This is what I have accumulated from many different sheets about what accuracy and reliability are.

Accuracy is how precise the experiment is. You can improve accuracy by using better apparatus (eg digital equipment, etc.).

Reliability is how "correct" the experiment is. If you can do the experiment over and over (ie repetitions) and get the same result, then your results are reliable.

An experiment could therefore be very accurate, using high-tech equipment to measure to a high degree of precision, but if something is wrong in the method or the execution (eg faulty wires) then you might get different results each time you do it. These results would be accurate but not reliable, so they wouldn't be useful.

The memory aid I have heard some people say is
Accuracy - Apparatus
Reliability - Repetitions
Validity - Variables

Anyway, Mrs C. said she would find out from Dr T. exactly what was what because we were discussing it last lesson and we had different ideas.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Techie
Reliability is how "correct" the experiment is. If you can do the experiment over and over (ie repetitions) and get the same result, then your results are reliable.
But the experiment doesnt have to give the correct result to be reliable just the same response over again

Originally posted by Frigid

the zumdahl analogy.
The first one was before they adjusted their sight, or if it was after they didnt do a good job.

All my shots looked like that :( cause I dropped my first shot on the sight changing thing so the WTTS range used it in the calculations and all my shots were well off centre :(

InHa

HSC
Hi Michael. Its great to see that you use these helpful forums as well :)
Thanks for the info, I've been trying to search up the difference between the 2 but I could't find any until I came here.
Yeah, we were discussing it in class last time but yeah it didn't really verify anything.
Thanks again and I'll see you in class!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I've posted quite a bit on this topic - try a search.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)