Differences (1 Viewer)

karoooh

HSC
I was wondering if anyone could distinguish for me the differences or similarities between Economics and Commerce at uni. All I get from some of the people that I've asked, is that Eco is harder than Commerce.

Thanks!

HSC
N/A
Really, I always thought commerce is more difficult than economics. I guess it depends what majors you choose to take.

phrred

HSC
karoooh said:
I was wondering if anyone could distinguish for me the differences or similarities between Economics and Commerce at uni. All I get from some of the people that I've asked, is that Eco is harder than Commerce.

Thanks!
Go have a look at online handbooks from the uni u wanna do it from.
BEc u hafta major in Eco
BCom u can choose wateva majors u want

What majors you looking to do?

Conspirocy

HSC
brogan77 said:
um wtf, Economics isn't harder than Commerce. :S

Commerce generally has a higher cut-off because it usually affords you the ability to do almost any combination of majors in the Economics/Business/Commerce Faculties at the respective universities.

Whereas, Economics restricts you somewhat, in that, you will be required to do an Economics (or in some cases Econometrics/similar major) major.

Other than that, they're virtually identical.
so you saying that engineering isnt harder than commerce because it has a lower uai? that isnt really a good point --> i f u knew anything about economics (which you think is so easy) you would have said commerce has a higher cut off because there is greater demand by students for a commerce degree, the uai is a price, so the increase in demand pushes up the price, compared with that of an economics degree...ud also factor in the supply of spaces in each degree

I'd say harder depends on what you major in. which is esentially the same in either degree...then again doesnt it depend on the individual as well, maybe someone has a hard time understanding economic concepts, maybe they dont...

i would say that its harder to be successful with an economics degree, in terms of working in economics

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
if i really thought you were an impartial and objective person, then yeah i would take what you said on face value.

I thought there was an undertone to what you were saying, and it can be displayed very easily

yes marks are higher to get into commerce ---no that doesnt not mean commerce is harder than economics, engineering, or anything else...think you should take your own advice retard, and take that at face value

thanks for your concern over my mental health. im worried about you as well, you sound like an asinine little prick.

as for not understanding what i said, in u are are genuinely interested i'll explain:

- to get a good job working as an economist you have to come in the top 10% of your course in an economics major (basically that means u do honours)
- before people come flying in and say 'oh i know someone who didnt do honours in economics and is a blah blah at blah', yes there are exceptions to everything

for example, you would think people learn to converse intellegently after being at uni, and not reduce people to 'retards' for stating their opinion...but i guess brogan77 is an exception to this...

EDIT: im an exception as well for lowering myself to his level...but what a dickhead

read my post again,

in fact print it off and read it every morning

then go fuck yourself

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
karoooh said:

Thanks!
I like to think of commerce as a more broad subject in terms of what you study (a bit of finance, economics, accounting, etc which you can choose what you want to major in). Economics on the other hand is more a specific subject which you can find out more about what you learn in faculty handbooks.

ditto

drops of jupiter
HSC
hi guys!

does anyone know the difference between 'B Commerce' and 'B Business'? i really have NO idea and when i read the course descriptions, i still couldn't find a real difference!!!

thankx :)

ND

HSC
Conspirocy said:
yes marks are higher to get into commerce ---no that doesnt not mean commerce is harder than economics, engineering, or anything else

:rofl:

The fact that this dude can get into an Economics degree (assuming he's doing one) devalues it completely.

shonkay

HSC
ditto said:
hi guys!

does anyone know the difference between 'B Commerce' and 'B Business'? i really have NO idea and when i read the course descriptions, i still couldn't find a real difference!!!

thankx :)
I asked my cousin about it before (who does Commerce) and she said that her friends who do Business do the same things as her, just a different order.

turtleface

HSC
BCom is relatively new. In the olden days it was all BEc with a major in whatever (though like now, you have to do economics subjects).

Also, maybe its not a strong link, but I find that most of the second tier uni's tend to have Bachelor of Business rather than Bachelor of Commerce. You may argue that BBus is more vocational in nature, but I think they are all the same stuff.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you cant find a difference between the course descriptions in commerce and business, its because there is no difference.

but there are small things you should know such as:

at unsw, you can only finish the ca exemptions doing commerce, but at usyd you can do them doing econ or commerce, but at club mac you have to do com-acc, not com or econ.

Conspirocy

HSC
ND said:
:rofl:

The fact that this dude can get into an Economics degree (assuming he's doing one) devalues it completely.
if ur talking about me, i do a commerce degree, and i do an economics degree... im majoring in economics accounting and international business, so i guess we can diminish all those fields as well, heck even the degrees...i dont go round judging u or ur degree, or ur uni, or where u work... i could have gotten into heaps of degrees...the fact u care diminishes the value of anything u do with ur life

re broggen77

i know the difference between a major and a degree. an economics degree has a compuls major in eco, econometrics...so when talking about an eco major i was referring to an eco degree. i thought most people doing an eco degree would want to work in economics. probably wrong...
l

love this point, was what i was trying to say as well

"(U CANT JUDGE THEIR RELATIVE DIFFICULTY AS IT CHANGES DEPENDING ON THE COURSES SELECTED AND THE PERSON'S OWN STRENGTHS), that the only difference between the two courses and hence the different UAI's is the compulsory Economics major in an Economics DEGREE."

i said ur post was fine if u read it objectively, i also said i didnt think it was objective... and in any response after my 1st post, i gave you the same courtesy u gave me, which was none.

phrred

HSC
turtleface said:
BCom is relatively new. In the olden days it was all BEc with a major in whatever (though like now, you have to do economics subjects).

Also, maybe its not a strong link, but I find that most of the second tier uni's tend to have Bachelor of Business rather than Bachelor of Commerce. You may argue that BBus is more vocational in nature, but I think they are all the same stuff.
BComm has been around at UNSW since the 70s and USYD from about the early 90s

n for the guy who sed its harder to do well with an economics degree, why would it be?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
There is a difference between a B.Comm and a B.Econ.

In terms of course structure at my uni, the B.Comm is a lot more Accounting focused, as opposed to the B.Econ which has a higher econometrics content, and is somewhat more focused. Of course the structure of these types of degrees will differ from uni to uni, but in the first year (at my uni at least) B.Comm and B.Econ are one in the same. Second and third years are when the differences will become more apparent.

turtleface

HSC
phrred said:
BComm has been around at UNSW since the 70s and USYD from about the early 90s
turtleface said:
BCom is relatively new
relatively newer i meant to say. BEc has been around probably since 19th century (maybe exaggeration)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)