Difficult plane geometry question (1 Viewer)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Any help with this one would be much appreciated:

Winston

HSC
Is any other information given for the question?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
No. I'm quite sure it can be done, as my teacher went through it in class (I didn't get a chance to copy down his solutions though, as the bell rang).

Winston

HSC
Well seeing the Perp Bisector is BE, then it cuts that triangle up, so that BEA = BEC = 90 Degrees, and the other four remaining angles are respectively equal to 45 Degrees, and then and to get ACD you just do 180 - 45 degrees, since it's on a straight line.

so ACD = 135 Degrees, and we know that BAC = 45 Degrees, so add them together and you get 180 degrees. and 2 x BEC = 180 so yeah.

I don't think i've proved it right lol, cause i assumed the two triangles remaining angles are cut up evenly to 45 degrees.

untamedanimal

If you are given that AB = BC the Winston's solution would be correct, otherwise i dont think its provable

^___^
HSC
u dunno if BE cuts AC perpendicularly, thats the problem, it looks like it is, but theres no info stating it is...

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Even if the two triangles were cut up evenly to 45 degrees, that doesn't necessarily mean AB will equal BC. My teacher did it using a bunch of exterior angles theorems, and I remember it was quite a long process. But I'm sure it's provable.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
But it would be very hard, i mean i'm pretty sure there should be at least one piece of data, and the crucial item would be knowing that BE is perpendicular.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
If only I'd got up off my lazy ass and copied the answers...I'm looking at the paper right now and no other information was provided. I remember my teacher let one of the top angles equal x and used a lot of algebra and such to reach the final answer.

Affinity

HSC
You don't need any additional assumptions.

ACD = CBE + BEC (exterior angle = sum of interior angles)

BEC = EBA + BAC (same reason)

now note that CBE = EBA, subtract the second equation from the first.

ACD - BEC = BEC - BAC
ACD + BAC = 2BEC

moral of the story: Don't dismiss something until you find some concrete counterexample

Last edited:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity

moral of the story: Don't dismiss something until you find some concrete counterexample
this is so true!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)