Dilema - advice would be appreciated (1 Viewer)

Ash92

HSC
Hey guys

Currently I am thinking of applying for two scholarships that will allow me to study at Cambridge (UK) or Duke University (USA) respectively, with the tenure being three-four years full fees paid (plus some living expenses) plus two return flights to NZ through the duration of the degree. However, I am really keen on going into the medical field, but the UK scholarship applies for any degree except medicine, while the USA scholarship will only cover premedicine. Therefore if I chose to accept one of these scholarships, I will have to study a four year undergraduate program (likely BSc), and then will have to apply for medicine through graduate entry. Another condition is that if you are one of a group of people who are shortlisted to be interviewed to receive the scholarship (only one person gets each in all of NZ), you must be prepared to accept the scholarship if it is awarded to you.

I have already been received a 3 year scholarship to Auckland University to study any degree of choice (including medicine), and medicine at UOA can be studied directly from an undergraduate level, and will take 6 years.

The question is, do you think it is worthwhile to apply for these two scholarships? Is is really that worthwhile studying at one of these prestigeous international university but having to do another degree/premedical degree before I can actually enter medicine as a graduate? I have heard from some that the new trend is that people begin their medical degree as a graduate... but Im pretty sure that this is not the case in NZ and Australia.

Please share your thoughts and advice, it would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks heaps

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
Scolarships are great if you dont have much money if theres a cheap way around it, take it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)