• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Director's Folio - Meat Party (1 Viewer)

csacky

HSC
hey dudes!

i read the other two threads about director'f folio and i see that there are two other members here that are also doing meat party like myself.

i was just wanting to ask some questions in regards to what we had to do.

i'm having a little trouble with the point that says:
a discussion of the approach to working with actors in rehersal.

just in general terms, what exactly does this point require you to do? this is the only part of the folio that i have yet to cover, so i really need some help so i can get the folio over before the trials start.

also, you know how there are 8 dot points we need to cover, the first one is 300 words (the rationale), do you guys know approximately how long the other 7points should be? i'm working nicely with the word requirements of 3500, but i don't know if my spread of words is even enough like it should be.

Peartie

HSC
it doesnt matter on spread of words....just as long as it is concise

for example my ANALYSIS OF THE TEXT AND A DISCUSSION ON THE RESEARCH WHICH HAS INFLUENCED IDEAS FOR THE PRODUCTION is long whereas someone else in my year it is relativley short.

The intended process for working with the actors is things such as what acting styles you are going to employ for either rehearsals or the play itself (such as Brecht [if you do him for another part of the HSC it should be easy :p ]). It is also about what you intend to do at rehearsals and things like that- shouldn't be to hard.....in my last hand in i got 25 for my folio (27 from one marker and 23 from the other.....) so I think im getting there....im worried about word count though- how are you keeping within the word count so easily???

csacky

HSC
shouldn't the analysis be quite lengthy? mine was quite long too. this section requires you to go into great depth into the text, english-wise and drama-wise, so it should be long. if it is not you are not analysing in enough depth. also, considering a play like meat party, it is one which relies heavily on symbolism, and so you need to break down everything and then elaborate on all of it. so, that in itself is rather lengthy. but anyways, since you said its not a problem, then i should be fine.

are you doing bretch in drama as well? we touched on him but never went into too much depth. our old teacher wanted us to do, but when our new teacher came in, she saw how badly most of the class were struggling, and so we changed to do american theatre. not that it made a difference to the class, since they are mostly idiots anyways. i was just wondering, when you did bretch was it much more than just his 'different' styles of theatre conventions that were used for alienation and education? when we did it we just covered this section, and that's when the teacher decided to change.

i think that the issue with the word count can only be fixed with practice. i used to be like that where i could never stay in the parameters. if the speech said 5 mins, i wowuld always do 6. if the word length of the essay was 1500, i always did almost 2000. or sometimes it would be the other way where i couldn't do enough...

i guess i need to thank my english teacher for helping me fix this problem. after 2 years of english advanced with her, i've learnt how to be concise, or, more so, not so wordy. what i used to do was have useless things hanging from the beginning or end of my sentence. i've learnt to cut them off and just get straight to the point now. i think that with a folio like this you just need to be blunt and get to the point. there's no need to go beating around the bush just for the effect of it - that's what i used to do.

another thing i think is important is the use of technical jargon. this can help eliminate many words and also make you sound good as well. or you can use big words, this also has the same effect, provided you use them properly. this is the way i've been getting around such tasks that have word requirements.

now, i've got about 3000 words. i may be a little over after i finish the rehearsal one. butthen after that i need to go through and edit my work. so afterwards i think i should be lingering around 3400-3600, which my teacher said was fine.

the only other thing that im not so happy about is my rationale. i don't know whether its too brief or not. i'm not even sure it sounds like a rationale.

Peartie

HSC
no, im not doing Brecht- i did Absurd, which helped me anyway with some ideas for MP.

I got 25/30 for mine even though it was over, i was told that they won't actually mind that much, so long as its not 10 000 words or something. All the teachers that have marked mine think its something like 3500 so its all good.

In regards to Rationale its your vision so make it as interesting as possible and try to show them in 300 words what EXACTLY you are going to do. This is the first part that is read by any producer (and marker) so if they dont like the Rtionale they might think that the play does not seem that good either and won't say yes to producing it (or give u a poorer mark).

smithica

HSC
hey guy's im doing df-meat party as well, and the word limit is really a shocker....friday is sumbmission day and its what....wednesday now....im currently sitting on 3330 words and i just wanted to no how strict they r on the word limit cause i got 26.5 for trials and the main concern the markers had was my word limit. i found the working with actors part to be the hardest by far, i did mine in the form of diary entries and found that i was insulting their intelligence to much....guess i won't be a nice director the hey. any way i think everyone does the projects way diffeently cause i focussed the majority of my project on my vision and went into great depth about the themes and issues dealt with in the play. it worked well with the markers but what can i say.....that bloody word limit!!!! will i get marked down?

smithica

HSC
oh and my teacher told me when they say 3000 words they mean it cause if your project is the last one to be marked and the markers have had a really really long day they may be put off by the fact that the have read another really long project....now can u see where my concerns are coming from?

smithica

HSC
monday?.....ahhhh geez.... i could hav used the weekend!....mine was due last friday morning....of course i left stuff home and had to race back and get but it was worth it! cause its gone forever!!!! hooray!! and i probably had the most relaxing weekend without it looming over me.....a little to relaxed for someone with their group on monday morning at 9 15....eeek lol oh well its all good...... but it's the best feeling of freedom......just you wait...

Peartie

HSC
finished EVERYTHING - that means that 80% of my HSC drama is now COMPLETE! YES.....now onto the non fun essay writing stuffd :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)