discrete mathematics (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you think about it?
I liked it for the most part. It focused a quite a bit on problem solving and logic.

Its a bit different to your sort of ‘normal’ math courses. It’s a different type of maths and for the most part pretty enjoyable. Only thing I hate about it is like truth tables.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Truth Tables are easy - for the basic ones at least. Interestingly, at the lowest level of IB Maths, called Maths Studies(SL), Logic is one of the its topics, covering: Propositions, Compound Propositions, Truth Tables & Logical Equivalence, Implication & Equivalence, Converse, Inverse & Contrapositive, Tautology & Contradiction.

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
I liked it for the most part. It focused a quite a bit on problem solving and logic.

Its a bit different to your sort of ‘normal’ math courses. It’s a different type of maths and for the most part pretty enjoyable. Only thing I hate about it is like truth tables.
Is it crucial for understanding algorithms or can I get by having not done it?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
No I would say it is pretty crucial. Especially you’ll learn lots of theorems and what not for graphs that are useful in programming.

Now with that being said it’s nothing you can’t learn yourself. To be honest I wouldn’t have found it that hard to learn the relevant material for the comp courses from discrete had I not done the course.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Are we talking about the UNSW course?

If so then I didn't really like it. Out of the seven math courses I've done so far I'd rank this near the bottom, tied with or just above MATH2221 Differential Equations.

It suffers from the same problem as the other first year math courses where you don't get to see anything cool because you need to go through the boring basics first. The lecturers are nice but they seem like they're just trying to get people past the final exam and don't really stop to point out any interesting results.

I think it would be a lot better if split into a higher (MATH1091?) and lower (MATH1081) stream like 1A and 1B are. You can remove/compress a bit of the overlap with HSC content and use that freed time to look at some more interesting topics. And the tutors won't have spend all their time on the trivially easy questions in the tutorials.

If we mean the field of mathematics in general then I don't dislike it but I'm not a huge fan either - though I do like set theory and number theory.

No. The two graph theory algorithms in 1081 are covered in greater depth in 2521. If you mean algorithms in general then 2521 + 3121/3821 will do the job.

DnaRna

HSC
N/A
Are we talking about the UNSW course?

If so then I didn't really like it. Out of the seven math courses I've done so far I'd rank this near the bottom, tied with or just above MATH2221 Differential Equations.

It suffers from the same problem as the other first year math courses where you don't get to see anything cool because you need to go through the boring basics first. The lecturers are nice but they seem like they're just trying to get people past the final exam and don't really stop to point out any interesting results.

I think it would be a lot better if split into a higher (MATH1091?) and lower (MATH1081) stream like 1A and 1B are. You can remove/compress a bit of the overlap with HSC content and use that freed time to look at some more interesting topics. And the tutors won't have spend all their time on the trivially easy questions in the tutorials.

If we mean the field of mathematics in general then I don't dislike it but I'm not a huge fan either - though I do like set theory and number theory.

No. The two graph theory algorithms in 1081 are covered in greater depth in 2521. If you mean algorithms in general then 2521 + 3121/3821 will do the job.
Was 1081 part of your math degree or comp eng degree? It's not available in the comp eng handbook? Also can I ask you more questions about comp eng if you don't mind?

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Was 1081 part of your math degree or comp eng degree? It's not available in the comp eng handbook? Also can I ask you more questions about comp eng if you don't mind?
1. Math degree
2. Sure, PM me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)