Discursive piece help (1 Viewer)

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
hey guys i am in year 10 and i have yearly exams coming up. I have an English exam where you would have to write a discursive piece about youth issue in your novel study but the problem is i don't know how to write a discursive piece nor have i ever written one. So i was wondering if you guys can help me how to make one

c8

HSC
It's like a discussion of a topic but with no bias as a persuasive would have and instead you discuss a topic to prompt your audience to consider the topic not from a singular pov. Normally you can open with an anecdote that links to a broader issue and use analogies to support your argument. You can use a normal conversational/colloquial tone if you want as well.

jojosiwa123

HSC
you just talk about your issue and definitely use rhetorical questions, and personal anecdotes!! you can even have an imaginative aspect to it and make it a hybrid text. make sure to make use of a million language techniques and write as if you were having a conversation in real life.

EG let's say the topic was stress:
the intro could be a personal anecdote of a time where you pulled an all nighter to do an assessment task- make sure it's something relatable for the audience. you could follow it up by saying 'we've all been there, but how do we combat it?' or "is there really a way to stop stressing?"- anything that prompts any kind of idea about your subject matter.
in the subsequent paragraphs you could go on about why stress happens and finally you could offer some ideas on how to stop it.

the most important thing is though that throughout the piece you use anecdotes, analogies and language techniques. you can even find a few stats, quotes from famous people/experts and studies to back up what you're saying but overall keep it vague- you're offering a new idea, not forcing the audience to believe it's true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)