Discuss question (1 Viewer)

JUB JUB

HSC
can anyone discuss the current use of family trees....
the first prac of part 2 of Blueprint of Life?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
to determine hereditary (sp?) of a particular characteristic (usually for sex-linked genes)... ie. haemophilia...

we did heaps of sheets with questions - you basically were only given parts of the family tree and u had to use that information to work out parents etc..

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
yup to determine hereditary.. and on top of that, these days they use the hereditary information they obatined to determine whether the babies of a couple will have the chance of getting certain genetic diseases such as colour blindness, albinism... etc. So this is used to *prevent* certain diseases. This information is usually involved with IVF (in vitro ferterlisation) or may lead to IVF as they can select the suitable gammates to avoid the disease they have predicted.

HannieStar

Do you mean pedigrees?
If so you look at them and then use Punnet Squares to figure out the ratios of inheritance etc.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
*digs out study notes
In pedigree charts/family trees, squares represent males, circles females. A strategy to work out
phenotypes, genotypes and type of inheritance is by allowing the phenotype of the affected person to be
homozygous recessive. They are currently used for:
Ÿ Determining chances of inheriting a certain disease for a family with a known history of that
particular disease
Ÿ Tracing family history
Ÿ Predicting the outcome of a future crossing
Ÿ Tracing lines of various breeds eg. racehorses

Originally posted by HannieStar
Do you mean pedigrees?
yes Hanniestar is correct- the dot point pedigrees AND family treest keep both in mind

hope my answers from mah study notes help:p!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)