Discussing the BCS theory? (1 Viewer)

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
I understand the theory, but how do you provide for and/or against it?

Are there faults in the theory that i need to know?

Logix

how bout providing advantages and disadvantages to using superconducters in electricity transmission? :rolleyes:

helper

HSC
N/A
Logix said:
how bout providing advantages and disadvantages to using superconducters in electricity transmission? :rolleyes:
Advantages: Drop in energy losses
Disadvatage: Costs/Temperatures/Brittle

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
Logix said:

I'm asking about discussing the BCS theory, not superconductors in general.

Thanks Constip8edSkunk, I'll read up on that.

snoopwogg

HSC
Discuss involves close examination of a subject with interchange of opinions. it doesnt necessarily mean give advantages and disadvantages. There arent disadvantages of this theory - just yet. it is accepted by the entire scientific community. So when they wrote discuss, they probably wanted you to describe its features in depth? The syllabus doesnt expect us to know how or why this theory works, just to know that it does and its main features.

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
Actually there is a major problem with BCS theory - it doesnt explain conduction in recent high temperature super conducters, where there are both cooper pairs and single electrons moving through the lattice, instead of just cooper pairs

snoopwogg

HSC
Jaccaranda Physics doesnt say anything about just electrons :S the only thing we learn is the cooper pair business. Care to explain?

ashtor

HSC
i doubt you have to know anything outside what Jacaranda sez, its got a whole page on it...discuss doesnt necessarily mean you have to say advantages disadvantages and limits does it? coz i thought u just had to explain the cooper pair business as snoop said, and there are a lot of discuss dotpoints that u cant really bring in advantages and disadvantages for...e.g., discuss the effect on the magnitude of the force on a current carrying conductor of variations in: -B, -I, -l etc..
discuss the principle of relativity...
discuss why some elelctrical appliances in the home connected to the mains domestic power supply use a transformer...etc..

grimreaper

HSC
snoopwogg said:
Jaccaranda Physics doesnt say anything about just electrons :S the only thing we learn is the cooper pair business. Care to explain?
Well maybe its not in jacaranda - but I know its true

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wen it cools to critical temp, the vibration of the nucleus latice reduces drammatically, so that electrons in the 'sea of electrons' can move freely without bashing into nucleuses. as a result there is no loss of heat because elctro0ns can move through without hitting anything.
Wen the elcetron moves thorugh the latice, it sucks the positive nucleuses towards it (columb charge etc) this causes a suction behind it which drags another electron through the lattics, like syyphening water. the movement of charged particles relases electro magnetic energy in a packet called a phonon (phonon not photon). the phonon is absorbed by the electrons and gives them enough binding energy to over come their nagtive repulsions. this means the electrons can stay together and travel as a cooper pair. this happens over and over again thus giving the super conductor very good condution effeciency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)