Distance between internal rankings and HSC Assessment Mark (1 Viewer)

funny123

HSC
Good morning,
I was just wondering how the distance between your internal rankings affected your HSC assessment mark.

For example, if internally I was ranked 2nd and the distance between myself and first rank was 2 marks. If for the HSC exam the highest mark achieved by our cohort was 95. I understand first rank would have 95 as their assessment mark and whatever they got in the exam as their exam mark. Would that mean as 2nd rank I would be given 93 as my assessment mark because internally I was 2 marks behind 1st rank. Or is this incorrect, if so could someone please clarify how your assessment mark is calculated to reflect the relative distance between internal rankings?

Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In principle, relative gaps between students’ moderated Assessment Marks will reflect the relative gaps between their school assessment marks (i.e. the marks that determine their ranks). As part of the moderation process, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort, which you correctly described in the first part of your example. On the other hand, a student ranked slightly lower would likely not be awarded the equivalent Examination Mark as their Assessment Mark, although it would be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

Looking at the student ranked second, their moderated Assessment Mark is similar to the equivalent Examination Mark (and so on). The relative gaps were also maintained, although their values may not remain the same (15 as opposed to 12 in the case of the student ranked second). This is likely because the Examination Mark is not subject to moderation and therefore the concept of relative gaps does not apply, which makes sense since a student's Examination Mark is determined solely according to their own performance in the HSC exam of a subject. This means that the second part of your example only considers the highest Examination Mark alongside relative gaps to determine the Assessment Mark for students ranked lower when all Examination Marks achieved in the cohort are used as part of the moderation process.

I hope this helps! :D

funny123

HSC
In principle, relative gaps between students’ moderated Assessment Marks will reflect the relative gaps between their school assessment marks (i.e. the marks that determine their ranks). As part of the moderation process, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort, which you correctly described in the first part of your example. On the other hand, a student ranked slightly lower would likely not be awarded the equivalent Examination Mark as their Assessment Mark, although it would be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

Example table

Looking at the student ranked second, their moderated Assessment Mark is similar to the equivalent Examination Mark (and so on). The relative gaps were also maintained, although their values may not remain the same (15 as opposed to 12 in the case of the student ranked second). This is likely because the Examination Mark is not subject to moderation and therefore the concept of relative gaps does not apply, which makes sense since a student's Examination Mark is determined solely according to their own performance in the HSC exam of a subject. This means that the second part of your example only considers the highest Examination Mark alongside relative gaps to determine the Assessment Mark for students ranked lower when all Examination Marks achieved in the cohort are used as part of the moderation process.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you this was helpful. Just a question in the example from NESA the distance between 1st and 2nd was 12 marks, what happens if their is only 1-2 marks between 1st and 2nd (e.g. 1st is 85, 2nd is 83/84? In the moderation the relative distance of 12 increased to 15, would a similar thing occur in the newer example I asked?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you this was helpful. Just a question in the example from NESA the distance between 1st and 2nd was 12 marks, what happens if their is only 1-2 marks between 1st and 2nd (e.g. 1st is 85, 2nd is 83/84? In the moderation the relative distance of 12 increased to 15, would a similar thing occur in the newer example I asked?
No worries, there might still be a chance that the difference may end up being slightly greater, although it could also remain the same, as was the case of the student ranked third in NESA’s example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)