Distinction Courses (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
Could someone (Lazarus?) please explain the scaling process of Distinction Courses from the raw marks to the scaled marks (I believe that the Board applies its own scaling process, as well as UAC). I have read the Distinction Courses booklet, but I am not au fait with "linear mapping" (although I have studied Mathematics X2, so don't necessarily skimp on the jargon).

An anecdote would be handy, if you please.

(Lazarus: if you are responding to this, I have posted a very similar tree at the Distinction course Chit Chat forum to which you may like to submit the same response. Cheers.)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1. Your lecturers determine a raw mark by aggregating the results of your assessment tasks. (In Philosophy 2001, I was ranked =16/37 with a raw mark of 83.25. Max: 90.5, Median: 82.25, Min: 74.25, Mean: 82.6, StDev: 4.1)

2. Upon the conclusion of the course, the lecturers from all three Distinction Courses hold a joint meeting to determine the maximum mark and the raw grade cut-offs for each course. This process places the marks from all three courses on the same scale, resulting in a set of adjusted marks. (Informal enquiries have indicated that the maximum adjusted mark for Philosophy is usually set to be around 95 - speak to Adrian for details. My raw mark of 83.25 became an adjusted mark of 87.)

3. These adjusted marks are sent to the Board, and undergo a further transformation to become total weighted marks. I don't have any details of this transformation, though I suspect that it simply sets the maximum mark in each course to be 100. (My adjusted mark of 87 became a total weighted mark of 88.) This total weighted mark indicates your final grade for the course - e.g. a total weighted mark of 85+ will result in the words "High Distinction" appearing where your examination mark would normally appear.

4. The total weighted marks from the three Distinction Courses are combined under a single "Distinction Course" label, and thus the scaling algorithm treats them as though they were from a single course.

5. The scaled marks are separated into the three courses again for the purposes of statistical reporting.

---

A form of multi-linear mapping is used in the third step to transform raw marks to adjusted marks using the raw grade cut-offs (in the same way that the Board performs its aligning process). If it is decided that the maximum raw mark of 90.5 is to become a maximum adjusted mark of 95, and that a mark of 82 should be the raw grade cut-off for a High Distinction (85), then a simple linear transformation is used to map raw marks between those points to the corresponding adjusted marks.

It is the equivalent of determining the equation of a straight line through the points (90.5, 95) and (82, 85) and then pushing all other raw marks in the range [82, 90.5] through that equation.

Captain pi

HSC
Top Bands

If a name appears on the Distinguished Achievers' List for a Distinction Course, what does this mean? What has that student achieved?

Also, how many people achieve this? (No performance data is given, it seems.)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Captain pi said:
If a name appears on the Distinguished Achievers' List for a Distinction Course, what does this mean? What has that student achieved?
It means the student received a mark of 90+.

Marks are still awarded to students, even if they're not usually informed of them.

Captain pi said:
Also, how many people achieve this? (No performance data is given, it seems.)
The relevant statistics can be obtained from Table A2 in the annual scaling reports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)