DISTURBING MISTAKE IN EXCEL GUIDE (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
O.M.G!

On page 204 of the excel study guide there is a rather fatal mistake. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'll give you a hint, its in the very first line under Dictatorship.

Found it?

It will be hard if you aint doing Germany, but Hitler became Chancellor in 1933, NOT 1930!

I got quite a rude shock when typing away at an assignment and just checking up on a few things to find that I had been getting a very basic date wrong. But then I stopped doubting myself and actually checked back a few pages and in my own info.......surely enough its 1933!!!

Makes you wonder what else is wrong ay?

$30 for the wrong dates!! *shakes head*

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well there is other stuff wrong too! I'm not particularly impressed with the excel guide. In the Indochina section it says that the Geneva conference was held in July, but it was in May. There are also two pictures in the indochina bit and the captions are mixed up. There are also a fair few typographical errors (i.e. an isntead of and etc). I don't like the WW1 section in excel, it's really lengthy and longwinded.

The BEST study guide is the HTA modern history study guide..... it's a lifesaver, I swear by it. I think you can order it from the History teacher's association http://www.htansw.asn.au/

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
omg ash u r so right!!!!! :) TO ALL MODERN STUDENTS... get HTA it is really useful and actually written by teachers who teach the current syllabus!!!!

I REPEAT!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY EXCEL... BUT HTA IT IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
A wrong date isn't that huge a mistake-lots of books make mistakes like that, especially if there was some confusion or difficulty getting facts. (eg-I challenge anyone to find out the exact date that Kurt cobain shot himself, and the date his body was found!) Although the year Hitler became Chancellor is fairly straightforward...you'd think they could have gotton that one right.

Yeah, I found several mistakes in Excel books last year...both wrong information, and glaring ommissions. Like in the Legal Studies Excel book-the section in the *real* textbook is huge-about 3 or 4 times as big as the other sections-and oit was all in the syllabus-so we had to have it all there. Yet in the Excel book-it had only a couple of pages on it!:eek: And in the history one-there were heaps of syllabus points left out in the section on the Cold War, and other non-relevant information added in.

I think Excel books are sometimes a good idea-but only to compliment materials that you already have. They are basically aimed towards people who aren't striving to do all that well-they just want to get through the year OK. So if you are aiming to get a high UAI, don't think you can just learn whats in the Excel books and be OK! :(

(Except for the bio Excel book, which I cannot recomend highly enough!;) )

Generator

HSC
N/A
The Excel guide for History was a joke.
You're better off with a few decent books on each topic and then creating your own outline.

craz

HSC
we don't get a choice. we get all the excel study guides - which we don't mind! In history, we use like 20 different textbooks, so its easy to find out where one text is wrong especially about the geneva conference

jessika

law chicky
HSC
I had a teacher that used to photocopy heaps of stuff from the hta, that book seemed pretty good, especially compared to excel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)