Do I need chem for medical science? (1 Viewer)

_rakelt

HSC
Hello kids,

I want to do BMedical Science/Bbusiness at UTS next year. On the UTS website, it says that it only requires "2 units of science" as ASSUMED knowledge and I only did biology. A girl who is a year older than me said that it requires some chemistry (chemistry 1&2), and that she was thrown "off the deep end of the pool" because she didn't do chemistry in high school either. She still managed to achieve a high credit tho, but also because she's naturally intelligent...

My main concern is .. should I do a $220 bridging course for chemistry at UTS prior? The bridging course goes for less than 2 weeks (in feb 2020) and is a "summary of the key chemistry concepts" and "does not attempt to cover all HSC Chemistry rather it focuses on the foundations necessary." Should I, or should I not?

Please help :<

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello kids,

I want to do BMedical Science/Bbusiness at UTS next year. On the UTS website, it says that it only requires "2 units of science" as ASSUMED knowledge and I only did biology. A girl who is a year older than me said that it requires some chemistry (chemistry 1&2), and that she was thrown "off the deep end of the pool" because she didn't do chemistry in high school either. She still managed to achieve a high credit tho, but also because she's naturally intelligent...

My main concern is .. should I do a $220 bridging course for chemistry at UTS prior? The bridging course goes for less than 2 weeks (in feb 2020) and is a "summary of the key chemistry concepts" and "does not attempt to cover all HSC Chemistry rather it focuses on the foundations necessary." Should I, or should I not?

Please help :<
I mean it depends on you. Some people can just grab a textbook and learn the content. Other people are listeners and require a teacher to show them. Find out which category you are, if you can’t just read from a textbook and understand it then I suggest go with the bridging course

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've always urged students, going into Yr 11, to choose subjects they may need, rather than subjects they like or are passionate about.

When you are in Yr 10, how many of you really know what course you may want to enrol in at uni. If you do Aboriginal Studies, for example, how many uni courses is this likely to prepare you for? Ditto for many other light-weight subjects. This is not to say they are unimportant or uninteresting areas of study. But you have to prioritise. You choose subjects not necessarily because you like them, but because you may later on, need them, such as Chemistry for -rakelt.

I often shake my head when someone says he wants to do an Engineering degree, but has forgotten to do Physics and has chosen only General Maths (apparently to get higher marks)? What a joke!

You should try to choose the foundational disciplines like Maths, the sciences, Economics, or if you plan to do a Humanities course, its associated foundational subjects. Of course not everyone of you can handle these subjects, if you do not have what it takes.

Last edited:

_rakelt

HSC
I've always urged students, going into Yr 11, to choose subjects they may need, rather than subjects they like or are passionate about.

When you are in Yr 10, how many of you really know what course you may want to enrol in at uni. If you do Aboriginal Studies, for example, how many uni courses is this likely to prepare you for? Ditto for many other light-weight subjects. This is not to say they are unimportant or uninteresting areas of study. But you have to prioritise. You choose subjects not necessarily because you like them, but because you may later on, need them, such as Chemistry for -rakelt.

I often shake my head when someone says he wants to do an Engineering degree, but has forgotten to do Physics and has chosen only General Maths (apparently to get higher marks)? What a joke!

You should try to choose the foundational disciplines like Maths, the sciences, Economics, or if you plan to do a Humanities course, its associated foundational subjects. Of course not everyone of you can handle these subjects, if you do not have what it takes.
I understand where your coming from, but at the end of the day, your not helping me.

First of all, your rambling about what subjects I took. And you know what? Its too late to rechoose my subjects, and its too late to redo hsc. And I want to point out again, that the course requires only TWO units of ANY science, not that chemistry is ESSENTIAL to undertake.

I know that the course will still readdress chemistry concepts again for everyone, but my main concern is that should I be PROACTIVE and prepare myself beforehand. This ISN'T a big dilemma. I just wanted advice if I should prepare myself.

Moreover, I cannot change preferences in regards to what courses and disciplines I want to undertake. And I am fine with that as I am more than happy to do medical science with the subjects I have chosen in hs.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry if I offended you -rakelt. My post was not meant to provide you any advice. In fact I did not address your needs at all. I made no reference to subjects you took. I have no idea what subjects you took. I was merely taking this opportunity to make students aware that a poor choice of HSC subjects can lead to painful consequences. I've seen too many instances like this.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Assumed knowledge is not a pre-req. I'd be surprised for someone in MedSci to not have done any science subjects, but as Drongoski has alluded to, people regularly don't even meet the assumed knowledge. You've at least hit the assumed knowledge, and I think Biology would better prepare you for MedSci anyway.

I knew people in Civil Engineering at UTS who I believe also had to do those Chem subjects, and they got through without having studied Chemistry in high school. You would definitely find it harder at the start than students who did HSC Chemistry, but I highly doubt they would assume HSC Chem knowledge. There is also plenty of good material on youtube that you could use during the semester if you're stuck, or to catch up over the holidays if you wish.

With that being said, I think it'd still be worth considering the bridging course as it would be designed with the courses you need to take in mind. It's also a good opportunity to meet some people from your course before you start. Are you sure the $220 for the bridging course can't be put on HECS or somehow deferred/avoided if you are a UTS student?

_rakelt

HSC
I'm sorry if I offended you -rakelt. My post was not meant to provide you any advice. In fact I did not address your needs at all. I made no reference to subjects you took. I have no idea what subjects you took. I was merely taking this opportunity to make students aware that a poor choice of HSC subjects can lead to painful consequences. I've seen too many instances like this.
nooo its okay, i just wanted to explain myself thats all

_rakelt

HSC
Assumed knowledge is not a pre-req. I'd be surprised for someone in MedSci to not have done any science subjects, but as Drongoski has alluded to, people regularly don't even meet the assumed knowledge. You've at least hit the assumed knowledge, and I think Biology would better prepare you for MedSci anyway.

I knew people in Civil Engineering at UTS who I believe also had to do those Chem subjects, and they got through without having studied Chemistry in high school. You would definitely find it harder at the start than students who did HSC Chemistry, but I highly doubt they would assume HSC Chem knowledge. There is also plenty of good material on youtube that you could use during the semester if you're stuck, or to catch up over the holidays if you wish.

With that being said, I think it'd still be worth considering the bridging course as it would be designed with the courses you need to take in mind. It's also a good opportunity to meet some people from your course before you start. Are you sure the $220 for the bridging course can't be put on HECS or somehow deferred/avoided if you are a UTS student?
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it. But I don't know for certain if I can defer/avoid it. Hopefully I can and if not, I'll just hope my parents can pay for it lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)