• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do i need English Advance? (1 Viewer)

theonly1

HSC
hey, the deadline to dropping English Ad. to standard is all most up. I`m not the best at English and hate it. When my HSC is finished i want to do a course in bio-medical forensics. Do i need advance for a course such as this? Also would it have a bad effect on my atar?

Thanks

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although advanced English is unlikely going to be assumed knowledge for a course such as biomedical forensics, but you still need good communication and written skills to write up a detailed forensic report. English Advanced scales higher than Standard, so unless you did extremely poorly in Advanced in your first term, I don't advice you from dropping to standard. One very important thing to maximise your ATAR is to transform your attitude towards English Advanced-you should try to lessen your hatred in it, and anyone can become better in English with persistent practice and consistent effort and dedication, and most importantly, a genuine self belief that they can excel in English. You still have three terms to go, there is at least 3-4 assessments for you to transform your mark for English around and make sure you can maximise your English potential.

My top tips for maximising your English potential:

1)write practice essays(but make sure you get a very harsh marker-whether it is your teacher, your tutor, or someone else)-try to write one each week-there is no need to write excessively as quality exceed quantity in English and sometimes you need time to think over your ideas-to refine/extend them-so you don't waste so much time procrastinating when you write your essays

2) never write a second essay without getting comments for your first one, and I don't advise you to prepare a generic essay because unless you know the essay question before hand, generic essay will often leave you restricted in your options and even if it will get you marks in your assessment task, it will definitely not get you far in your trials and HSC...

3)never ever give up, use your holidays effectively to prepare-ask the teacher what text you will be studying in the coming year-and use the holidays to read over these texts-to reduce your stress during the year, for any modules requiring a related text, try to find it in the holidays, and try not to use a very popular text-it is much harder to stand out if you do used one.

4)learn to listen in class-whether it is other people's opinions or your teacher's insights, it will help you formulate your own unique understanding-don't rely on study guides too much-because everyone will be doing the same thing-but check with your teacher that your understanding is not super obscure

5) probably the most important is to use all resources available, your teacher, your tutor(if you have one), the internet, library, etc-and develop a personal passion and understanding into the subject-but don't excessively seek other people's opinion on your work-because you might develop a low self-esteem and start to doubt yourself-so always reflect on each piece of advice whether it is valid or not and keep faith-believe in yourself that you have the capacity to develop independent thinking-and just because it is different from other people-does not necessarily mean it is wrong-just be prepared to back it up with textual evidence

6)read all your texts for a minimum of 3 times-no skimming over-you really need to develop a comprehensive understanding of the whole text-not just deconstruct a few scenes and forget about the rest of the book).

7)For writing an excellent creative, you should decide what areas you want to explore, construct a 'perfect' story after various edit process, than try to adopt that story to as many creative writing question as possible-i.e. write plans and get someone to mark it for you, like your teacher, and when you come across questions that your story is difficult to mould to, then write another one to cover the rest of the questions, but to write good creative stories, you will need to practice and get feedback as well as read good examples.

8)Regularly practice answering English essay/comprehension/creative questions under EXAM CONDTIONS, without notes, and get a teacher/tutor/experienced English personnel to mark it for you-and learn from the comments.

Basically, to do well in English, it is just practice, feedback, practice, feedback-unfortunately there is no short cuts at all. I welcome you to send me an essay/creative to allow me to give you comments on where you can improve in English-which surely will assist you in improving your marks in this compulsory subject. Hope this helps and remember to not give up!-try to love English just for your ATAR's sake:) Any more questions, welcome to PM me:)

Audranda

HSC
Standard has very poor aligning. Very few people (around 60ish) in the state manage to achieve a band 6 in Standard English, unlike Advanced.

Unless there are extreme circumstances, do otherwise, however Standard English may negatively affect your ATAR (given the mandated 2units of english be counted). Out of Advanced English and Standard, it's preferable to choose Advanced given the higher percentage of those who achieve the top band (around 12%), against the latter.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
do not do standard
This. I agree 100%. Literally all my friends that did standard regret it. But then it may be biased because the caliber of the students doing standard is low.

study1234

HSC
Stick with Advanced, just do everything you can to improve your essays/creative. Constantly work on improving them, and give them to teachers/tutors/peers for criticism.

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Don't do it. I'm guessing the only reason you 'hate it' is because you 'aren't the best at it' - I was the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)