• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do I need physics? (1 Viewer)

zyn0

HSC
Hi guys,

I have a crap (realllllllyyyy bad) teacher for physics and really want to drop the subject. None of the other physics teachers at this school are good either and even though i have enjoyed physics from 7-10, i cant bring myself to doing it for another 2 years especially with this teacher.

I am thinking of 1st choice - law and 2nd choice - engineering (aerospace>biomed>civil).

SO the quesion is, do i really need physics for any of the engineerings or will a bridging course be good enough?

Thanks

zyn0

HSC
Do you have anything to back that up? I've heard that physics is really important and doing it in the HSC helps a bit for uni :/

leehuan

HSC
Quite arguably MX2 is much more useful to engineering when compared to physics. However, on the main note, there is still a substantial amount of physics that focuses on explaining what you're actually taught instead of blabbering on about the social context and history of physics. So whilst it's not a must, it's highly recommended.

zyn0

HSC
Will a bridging course suffice? Or do I need to continue with physics in order to do well in engineering?

leehuan

HSC
Will a bridging course suffice? Or do I need to continue with physics in order to do well in engineering?
Nobody ever said a bridging course will not suffice. A ton of people go into engineering using the bridging course.

It's fine. So long as you do not treat it to be an excuse to avoid physics as opposed to your teacher being useless.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Do you have anything to back that up? I've heard that physics is really important and doing it in the HSC helps a bit for uni :/
Not really the same thing lol

square did 4u maths and physics --> engineering now lol

unfortunately hsc physics is more about rote learning random things than about problem solving (although it is present sometimes lelel)
i dabble a bit in uni physics (when my limited maths doesn't hold me back lele) and honestly the way they teach you in the hsc is pretty basic
if you wanted to, you could probably gain a decent understanding of the entire hsc physics course in a couple of weeks. the trick with the exam is remembering enough to write good responses + exam technique rather than the difficulty of the course

zyn0

HSC
Nobody ever said a bridging course will not suffice. A ton of people go into engineering using the bridging course.

It's fine. So long as you do not treat it to be an excuse to avoid physics as opposed to your teacher being useless.
Actually, I really enjoy physics (was one of my fav subjects till this mess of a teacher happened). It's just that this teacher is really dam useless especially when comparing this phys teacher to my chem teacher who literally is multiple times better.

I guess bridging course it is :/

zyn0

HSC

unfortunately hsc physics is more about rote learning random things than about problem solving (although it is present sometimes lelel)
i dabble a bit in uni physics (when my limited maths doesn't hold me back lele) and honestly the way they teach you in the hsc is pretty basic
if you wanted to, you could probably gain a decent understanding of the entire hsc physics course in a couple of weeks. the trick with the exam is remembering enough to write good responses + exam technique rather than the difficulty of the course

I see. Thanks for the info ^_^

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Actually, I really enjoy physics (was one of my fav subjects till this mess of a teacher happened). It's just that this teacher is really dam useless especially when comparing this phys teacher to my chem teacher who literally is multiple times better.

If you really enjoy it, imo keep it and teach yourself.
A subject you really enjoy, is a subject you will almost invariably do well in regardless of teacher.

zyn0

HSC
If you really enjoy it, imo keep it and teach yourself.
A subject you really enjoy, is a subject you will almost invariably do well in regardless of teacher.
The problem is, right now, I enjoy every other subject I have chosen (3u eng, 3u math, chem, legal, eco) way more than physics :/ (thought admittedly, ever since my first lesson of physics with this teacher I gave 0 attention to her or the course at all)

leehuan

HSC

Half ignore Nailgun unless you're fully passionate about it like I am to teach myself Ext 1 & Ext 2 maths. Try for tutoring or something to have refurbished educational means and keep the passion.

leehuan

HSC
The problem is, right now, I enjoy every other subject I have chosen (3u eng, 3u math, chem, legal, eco) way more than physics :/ (thought admittedly, ever since my first lesson of physics with this teacher I gave 0 attention to her or the course at all)
Drop at the end of prelim if you still lose interest then

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Fair enough. 14 units is a lot anyways, so it doesn't really hurt I guess.
Bottom-line is, the lack of physics won't disadvantage you significantly (tbh probs wont even need a bridging course from what ive heard)
4U maths would probably more helpful actually.

zyn0

HSC
Fair enough. 14 units is a lot anyways, so it doesn't really hurt I guess.
Bottom-line is, the lack of physics won't disadvantage you significantly (tbh probs wont even need a bridging course from what ive heard)
4U maths would probably more helpful actually.
I guess I'll trial 14units until year 12 or maybe for just a term or 2 :/ I guess no free periods and having about 4 hours total a night to study will have to do until year 12 :/

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
you heard wrong

3/4U math Will help significantly more than physics will

don't even need a bridging course tbh

stalker much :p

baktiar77

HSC
I guess I'll trial 14units until year 12 or maybe for just a term or 2 :/ I guess no free periods and having about 4 hours total a night to study will have to do until year 12 :/
Nah fam it's not worth it. You should just keep the required 12 and if you have spare time get a headstart in 2unit and 3unit hsc content, some of which is quite explanatory.

HSC Physics has a fair bit of rote learning but all the rote-learning in the world won't help you with application questions and unless you have a good teacher who will help explain some of the more harderconcepts (alternative is you're a textbook nerd and understand everything), then you're lose marks esp. in trials where they put the dumbest of questions that barely relate to syllabus.

Plus Bridging courses ain't necessary for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)