Do I need to remember all reactions ethylene undergoes? PLS HELP (1 Viewer)

ragingcurry

HSC
So, I have been reading the conquering chemistry textbook and the jacaranda chemistry textbook and both of them combined have a lot of reactions that ethylene undergoes. Do I need to remember ALL THE reactions that ethylene undergoes or do I just need to remember the common ones?
Also do I have to remember the chemical equations for all the reactions?

Can someone pls help me
:)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So, I have been reading the conquering chemistry textbook and the jacaranda chemistry textbook and both of them combined have a lot of reactions that ethylene undergoes. Do I need to remember ALL THE reactions that ethylene undergoes or do I just need to remember the common ones?

Can someone pls help me
Generally speaking you do need to memorise chemical equations for all the relevant reactions in the HSC Chemistry course, since you usually need to include them in your answers to get marks (there are usually marks associated for including relevant equations).

leehuan

HSC

Can someone pls help me
This is important.

Any band 6 student will ALWAYS, ALWAYS include chemical equations to support their answer to help cover everything required in the question. This is because, only through chemical equations will you be able to explain the interactions of the particles, AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL.

I have previously composed a list of chemical equations for my personal use. Pop a message in my inbox if you want it sent as a reminder.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
It's worth memorising the following examples of ethylene reactions, as well as their equations:

• Hydrogenation
  • Hydration
  • Hydrohalogenation
  • Halogenation

(Of course, also remember the catalysts for the reactions, e.g. nickel for hydrogenation)

leehuan

HSC
It's worth memorising the following examples of ethylene reactions, as well as their equations:

• [*]Hydrogenation
  • Hydration
    [*]Hydrohalogenation
  • Halogenation

(Of course, also remember the catalysts for the reactions, e.g. nickel for hydrogenation)
Note: Almost never examined - Only useful to demonstrate that alkenes are capable of undergoing addition reactions. Hydrogenation may be referred back to though if an exam question relates back to ethane, but such an equation should be easily formulated on the day.

(By contrast, hydration is essential because that's how to produce ethanol from ethylene, and halogenation is useful to relate simply back to the bromine water practical. Although, obviously a halogen is any group A VII element.)

Last edited:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Note: Almost never examined - Only useful to demonstrate that alkenes are capable of undergoing addition reactions. Hydrogenation may be referred back to though if an exam question relates back to ethane, but such an equation should be easily formulated on the day.

(By contrast, hydration is essential because that's how to produce ethanol from ethylene, and halogenation is useful to relate simply back to the bromine water practical. Although, obviously a halogen is any group A VII element.)
Yup.

Also, OP, I found an interesting piece of info in my notes regarding hydrohalogenation (not specific to ethylene) which you may find useful: The hydrogen in the compound that's being reacted with ethylene (e.g. the H in HBr) will bond to the carbon atom which is already bonded to the highest number of hydrogen atoms. e.g., if we are reacting HBr with C2H3Br, the hydrogen in the HBr will bond to the carbon atom which previously was bonded with 2 hydrogen atoms, instead of bonding to the carbon atom which was previously bonded to 1 hydrogen atom and 1 chlorine atom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)