Do interviewers like extracurricular ppl? (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
Say if i were to go for an interview for dent surgery, would an interviewer like a person with a great UAI but a crappy resume, or would the interviewer like a sort of all rounded person who does alot of extracurricular activities ... like band, sport, or have some sort of job. and if so ... how important is having extracurricular stuff to do? is there a chance for a person to get into a course like med/dent/physio by just having a good personality.. and a good mark?

Kittycat

HSC
Yea I think they would. I mean, if you can show that you have other skills apart from the fact that you can study, they will like you more. Job interviewers likes people who has other skills apart from just a good grade during school too.
Oh and prepare for weird questions. I heard that some interviewers ask really weird questions to see how you would react.

stainmepink

HSC
so do you recommend me get a job so that id have a chance?

i think its terrible of me to get one just because of the name on my resume. do you really think its necessary because i really really want to get into dent, but on the flipside i believe that its not right doing something that i dont enjoy?

is it really necessary?

Kittycat

HSC
gobaby said:
so do you recommend me get a job so that id have a chance?

i think its terrible of me to get one just because of the name on my resume. do you really think its necessary because i really really want to get into dent, but on the flipside i believe that its not right doing something that i dont enjoy?

is it really necessary?
.. no, you don't have to get a job just to put on your resume (job may or may not help ...usually they do... but they do help you to pay off a few uni debts)
It isn't necessary, I mean some people do get in to programs like dent & med without extracurricular activities but with it can improve the chances. Tutoring, volunteer work, sport activities? Did you join any clubs or societies?
It is for you to decide. But just ask yourself this: 'What have I done to show that I am capble of doing things other than sticking my head in a book and studying my ass off?'
If you answer it, and prove/show that you can, than you are fine.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dental surgery? .. is only offered at Adelaide... unless u want to be dentist.. then a dental science degree at UWA and Melb and Griffith.. after yr 12..
a job is good
but having real time management is the best.. and doing well

depends where and when u want to dent :)

stainmepink

HSC
i want to become a dentist really badly, so i dont care what uni id get into, so long as i'm doing that dental degree. maybe a uni preferably closer to sydney. is it true you cant do undergrad dent in syd?

and yeh about that extracurricular stuff, i did band, saturday netbol, knockout softball and all these really random things in year 8 and 9, then from there i lost interest and didnt have thhe time to do anything else. so do you think i can honestly say that i've proven myself to be a multi talented person by just telling them what i've done like 4 years ago ... or does it have to be something more recent. im currently in year 11

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well, in year 10 I knew I wouldn't have time for anything but school in year 12 (ha!) so I chose to do as much stuff as I could in the "irrelevant" (ha!) year 11. You could just do small things, like chipping in a few hours to raise money for charities etc (Red Cross Calling? Red Shield Appeal? Candle Day?) though these aren't as impressive as an ongoing commitment (if you can afford the time, join the organising committee at school for your grade's charity fundraising initiatives.

Remember, only do these if you really want to. There's no use pouring gravy on your CV if the interviewers just see someone who's done a bunch of stuff simply so s/he could say she'd done them to get into med. It's highly transparent.

It worked for me* (ha!)

*I did actually want to do all this stuff, so don't take that last statement to mean that you can fool the interviewers.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I started that stuff in yr11 and now its all piling up. Just get involved in everything, eg charities, clean up australia, school awards scheme, sport, job etc...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
gobaby said:
i want to become a dentist really badly, so i dont care what uni id get into, so long as i'm doing that dental degree. maybe a uni preferably closer to sydney. is it true you cant do undergrad dent in syd?

and yeh about that extracurricular stuff, i did band, saturday netbol, knockout softball and all these really random things in year 8 and 9, then from there i lost interest and didnt have thhe time to do anything else. so do you think i can honestly say that i've proven myself to be a multi talented person by just telling them what i've done like 4 years ago ... or does it have to be something more recent. im currently in year 11
well they are all the same

-usyd is ONLY grad-entry.. so u need a previous degree..

well its offered at UQ, Griffith, USyd, Melb,Adel, UWA..
so there are ure options..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)