do they scale between questions in an exam? (1 Viewer)

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
for extension, we do the shittiest no-go module in the state - prob the only class of 20 people

and our module is hard... i mean hard hard :vcross: firstly, theres no resources on here or on the net and most of the stuff we learn we make up or copy from the teacher

i think its unfair since other people who do pomo or crime fiction get higher marks regardless. in most assessments, our classes average is around 2 or 3 points lower than the other classes.

in the final hsc exam, will they take this into account that our class has done worse in this question and scale us up to the standard of crime fiction people for instance?

hope that makes sense.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
I don't think that specific questions scale, although the marking criterior maybe be different than people who do other units....

(Correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im almost 100% sure that no such sclaing process takes place. But yes, the marking criteria does change for each question, but they are of equal difficulty. The lack of resource are not taken into account. This is also the case fo Ext Hist, where some case studies are VERY obscure and only a handful (literally) across the board attempt it. It's sorta a "tough luck" case unfortunately.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Actually, there IS inter-question scaling.

It only occurs where there are a number of possible modules or electives. If the distribution of marks in one elective is noticeably higher or lower than the distributions of marks in the other electives, and it seems that students may have been unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged, a statistical adjustment is applied to remove the discrepancy.

This adjustment is what turns a "raw examination mark" into a "total weighted mark".

It's the only way to compensate for varying levels of difficulty across electives.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
But theoretically shouldn't all electives be of equal difficulty?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's obviously the examiners' aim, but it's not always achieved - some modules have absolutely no relation to each other. The statistical adjustment process is only applied where necessary to ensure equity between students.

The Masters Report stated that most markers weren't even aware of the process.

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
Lazarus said:
Actually, there IS inter-question scaling.

It only occurs where there are a number of possible modules or electives. If the distribution of marks in one elective is noticeably higher or lower than the distributions of marks in the other electives, and it seems that students may have been unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged, a statistical adjustment is applied to remove the discrepancy.

This adjustment is what turns a "raw examination mark" into a "total weighted mark".

It's the only way to compensate for varying levels of difficulty across electives.
YES! I LOVE YOU!

mwah!

my legal teacher told me this but i had to confirm it :p

and now... to rape this subject *runs off frantically*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)