• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you defragment your hard drive? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Do you defragment your hard drive, and if so how often? I just do it whenever I remember, which is about once a year:p.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
used to do it once every few days, cos i did so much installing/uninstalling, but now i do it every month or so. But it takes a while - 240gb storage on hdd's

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Not on a regular basis. Usually when it starts getting a bit clunky/laggy. But i never use winxp defrag, I hate that, always gotta use some 3rd party prog.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Kazuya said:
Not on a regular basis. Usually when it starts getting a bit clunky/laggy. But i never use winxp defrag, I hate that, always gotta use some 3rd party prog.
I just use the Windows XP one:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I have never reformatted this computer and I have had it for about a year and a half:p. I would consider doing it if I had a DVD burner to copy everything to:).

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
never reformatted... and i defrag every couple of months when i can be bothered to stop myself using the comp for the couple of hours it takes.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Defrag every few months, never reformatted this machine. Formatted my old one twice.

NightWolf

HSC
ok a crash course on fragmentation :rolleyes: ;
framentation is the splitting of a large area of free memory into smaller non-contiguous blocks. This happens after many blocks have been allocated and freed. For example, if there is 3 kilobytes of free space and two 1k blocks are allocated and then the first one at the lowest address is freed, then there will be 2k of free space split between the two 1k blocks. The maximum size block that could then be allocated would be 1k, even though there was 2k free. The solution is to compact the free space by moving the allocated blocks to one end and the free space to the other
As modern file systems are used and files are deleted and created, the total free space becomes split into smaller non-contiguous blocks (composed of clusters or sectors or some other unit of allocation). Eventually new files being created, and old files being extended, cannot be stored each in a single contiguous block but become scattered across the file system. This degrades performance as multiple seek operations are required to access a single fragmented file.

u should defrag ure hdd bout once a month, u should also reformat every 8 months or so maybe every year, its good to start clean 4 a new year.

I would also look for temp files and old files every 2-3 months
u should also clean and defrag ure registry the same time u defrag ure HDD

also about once every 2 months u should clean out ure prefetch folder \WINDOWS\Prefetch

a good idea is also to write a .bat file that will delete ure temp folder on every shutdown, u can make it run on shutdown by going into RUN and type gpedit.msc

4 me space wise i have a 80gb hdd with 70gbs of stuff on it, i have about 15gbs of music on my hdd player, and i have 27gbs used on my 60gb hdd, and i have crap burnt to about 300+cds so thats about 160gbs

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
NightWolf said:
I would also look for temp files and old files every 2-3 months
u should also clean and defrag ure registry the same time u defrag ure HDD
By temp files, do you mean "temporary Internet files":confused:? Also, how would I go about defragmenting the registry:)?

NightWolf said:
also about once every 2 months u should clean out ure prefetch folder \WINDOWS\Prefetch
So, what, do you just delete everything in the folder manually:)?

NightWolf

HSC
By temp files, do you mean "temporary Internet files"? Also, how would I go about defragmenting the registry?
To clean ure registry i use Advanced System Optimizer (ASO) by systweak, and also win registry cleaner, also ASO has a old junk file cleaner to save u doing in manually.

In prefetch you would want to prudy much del everything, so in answer to ure qu yes.
but u dont want to do this too often, if prefetch is to full it can slow system down, however if u delete it to often, say every shutdown it will also slow ure comp down
for deleting temp

First go into gpedit.msc

Next select -> Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Terminal Services/Temporary Folder

Then right click "Do Not Delete Temp Folder Upon Exit"

Go to properties and hit disable.

Now next time Windows puts a temp file in that folder it will automatically delete it when its done
u will also want to make a bat file that will delete temp in ure user name

dangerousdave

HSC
I got this program that everytime my computer enters screensaver it automatically starts defragging and when i exit screensaver it stops defragging.
Works great, it's called Executive Software Diskeeper

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
NightWolf said:
To clean ure registry i use Advanced System Optimizer (ASO) by systweak, and also win registry cleaner, also ASO has a old junk file cleaner to save u doing in manually.

In prefetch you would want to prudy much del everything, so in answer to ure qu yes.
but u dont want to do this too often, if prefetch is to full it can slow system down, however if u delete it to often, say every shutdown it will also slow ure comp down
for deleting temp

First go into gpedit.msc

Next select -> Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Terminal Services/Temporary Folder

Then right click "Do Not Delete Temp Folder Upon Exit"

Go to properties and hit disable.

Now next time Windows puts a temp file in that folder it will automatically delete it when its done
u will also want to make a bat file that will delete temp in ure user name
Thanks for your help but I don't really understand what you are saying:p. I don't even know what the registry really is. So I think I will just leave it until something goes wrong:).

NightWolf

HSC
just delete everything in the prefetch folder
and get a program called Advanced system optimizer it will do it all 4 u

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
NightWolf said:
just delete everything in the prefetch folder
and get a program called Advanced system optimizer it will do it all 4 u
OK, that I can understand. I will get that program if it is free and not too big. Thanks:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)