• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you get name in paper for topping subject? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Someone told me that this is the case. Is this really true?

Also, what is the 'Dean's list'? How does one qualify for it, etc.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not in uni you don't. Imagine how many thousands of subjects there are every semester. It would be stupid.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Actually, it does happen, but maybe not for all courses.

I remember having a list of USYD law subjects and the names of the students who topped them pointed out to me in some newspaper (possibly SMH).

Dean's list might be comprised of the top X students based on their semester WAM. I imagine that would vary too.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hey laz, hope to be working with you soon :)
Hmm would be interesting to find out when this list is released.
Lexicographer, remember the number of people getting band sixes in the newspapers after the hsc :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah but that's different - that's the HSC, where there is one syllabus for the entire state. Universities are not nearly so unified. If you had a list of the person topping every subject in every faculty at every university, you'd need to release it as a special edition of the paper.

Lazarus' post is curious though. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar - perhaps it was a special feature, or the Faculty bought the space? I very much doubt it's a common practice.

ace

is retired
HSC
To my knowledge, UNSW doesn't publish anywhere who came first in X, Y, Z subject.

And about the dean's list. I know unsw engineering faculty keeps a list on there website, but that's about it. And the dean's list just comprises the people who are currently eligible for honours. (However being on the list in the first year, won't guarantee you'll be on the list the next year :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)