• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you hate Mechanics? (1 Viewer)

Geezer28

HSC
N/A
I hate Mechanics.

I live in Brisbane, Queensland, and I just got my P's (Rushed the test before the new laws come into play). So, I decided it was time to put my 1987 BMW 535i into a mechanic, so that it could be fixed up for me to start driving myself around ASAP. I bought the car about a year ago, as it only had a few small things wrong with it that the wreckers assured me would cost 'next to nothing' to get on the road again.

So I book my car into a mechanic. Well, firstly it takes them a month to pick my car up, after they said they would on a particular date. A whole month before they've even got it. (The car is unroadworthy as of this stage, so it had to be picked up by a Tradesman with Trade Plates).

So they finally come to get it. They tell me they should have a diagnosis by at least that afternoon. They don't call that afternoon. Or the next. Or for two weeks. I end up ringing them on a Monday two weeks after the pre-made "Diagnosis" date, and they tell me they should know exactly what's wrong with it by that Thursday. Mhmm.

Thursday rolls around, and shock horror - they actually call. They tell me my car needs a new muffler/exhaust (Shock horror - I told them that). They say it needs one new tyre, and the break bushes need to be replaced. All together, they cost it at $800 including Roadworthy. Fine, I say. Whatever. As long as it gets done.

They give me another ETA - the following Monday. Okay, that's cool. I wait. Monday comes. They ring - say it won't be done until Thursday. Also, they have found a problem with a steering arm that will cost another $300, plus another tyre needs to be replaced. I argue the fuck out of them, and they drop the extra $300. I wait, with anger. Thursday comes - I ring them - I ask them if the car is ready to be dropped off at mine. They say "No, I didn't say Thursday, I said at the end of the week". What the fuck? How could somebody blatantly lie about that? Grr. So I wait until Friday. I ring again. "Most probably Monday".

Weekend.

Today is Monday. I have rung them once more. I ask "Is my car ready to be dropped off today?"
The guy I speak to has a really smartarse tone. "No, who told you it would be ready by today? The welder is here today, and it could be finished today, but it might be tomorrow".

I am ultra pissed off at this stage. I have been waiting for months just to get a couple of small jobs done. And I still have not my car back. :burn:

---

Have mechanics ever fucked you over like this?

~ Geezer.

spangacrab

HSC
Nah, we have trustworthy mechanic.
If your that nancy about it why don't you just get your car and take it too somewhere else. Also being a dick to them isn't going to want make them do you any favours.
Getting the mechanic to pick your car up?!?!?! Im fucking suprised that they actually do that, just grab some plates and drive it yourself. Ive done it from brissy and back and forth into time 2 more times after that.

CieL

HSC
I think you just chose the wrong people.

My ex used to be an apprentice mechanic [I think I've told this story before =.=].. Anyways, half the time he's "fixing" a car, he doesn't know what he was doing, but just doing what was told..

Not to mention they're usually the type that failed the HSC and went to tafe so they've got no brains.. I wouldnt be surprised if they genuinely couldnt tell the difference between Monday and Thursday

Get a chick with big boobs to try pick up the car and see how long it takes them to finally finish the job.

Jiga

Cant say I hate mechanics... but there are alot that are crap. I have to take my car to a particular mechanic to keep the used car warranty and the guy is hopeless, he puts 25W-?? oil in my car, even in winter. 5W in winter 10W in summer dammit! (I think he does it so the car doesnt last as long... thicker oil, takes longer to go throughout engine on start up, more damage). My mum has also had probs with her aid conditioning that needed to be regassed twice and i saw a cap that was related to the system was missing! And a friends car got damaged when it was getting serviced and they didnt fess up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)