• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you have to be a chick to get a job at Sportsgirl? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering... and no I'm not interested- but if you had to... then that could count as sexual discrimination!!!!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
No no no. You go for a bra fitting position at an lingerie store.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
withoutaface said:
No no no. You go for a bra fitting position at an lingerie store.
Personally that sounds like being a gynaecologist... as in, it sounds better than it'd really be. I've no interest in helping old women into their bra's, and beyond that... well.. read discrimination below (2 para's down)

seremify007 said:
Just wondering... and no I'm not interested- but if you had to... then that could count as sexual discrimination!!!!
I'd imagine you could; I've thought of that before.

Discrimination-wise, I believe if they have a reasonable argument they can discriminate all they like. I'd imagine that if you run a bra shop, and you (as a guy) tried the discrimination line on them they'd come back that fitting bras is a main part of the service their shop offers, and that females don't like just stripping off infront of male employees, so you'd not be able to do your job entirely. Don't know how legally right that argument is but it's pretty reasonable, in my opinion... Beyond that, I don't believe it's discrimination if they just shunt you off somewhere else (ie in head office, away from stipping customers). Theoretically they'd probably have a lot of males in HQ to make up for the females in stores so that if there was a discrimination case they'd be able to say "look -- we don't discriminate!"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Any of you guys remember that case about the pregnant woman who was cast as a virgin mother in a play because she won an anti-discrimination case?

volition

arr.
HSC
I thought that that kind of thing couldn't happen. I thought you're allowed to discriminate if it's to play a 'role'. Ie. I can't go and demand to be given 'equal consideration' to play a female role. I'm not sure though, someone correct me if I'm wrong

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what I thought as well- but then this wasn't between male and female.. it was female role- but she was pregnant and apparently that violates the anti discrimination based on your family status or something... we learnt about it in Legal Studies.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
i work at sportsgirl just as a cas. everyone i work with is female, but its not because the workplace discriminates, but because guys don't apply.
a while back, i was reading the company newsletter and the staff member of the month was a male assistant manager of a Melbourne store. so there you have it, you can be hired even if you're a bloke.
:)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL maybe I should sign meself up =] I wonder whether we need to go through group interviews with a bunch of chicks though..

em_516

bludging..
HSC
katietheskatie said:
one of my guy friends used to work at supre, so i guess so?
but i think that's different..don't supre hire guys to lure in 13yr olds? some stand outside the store and chat to the girls, make them feel special, and then they go in the store and try something on......that's what i heard anyway

elisabeth

HSC
em_516 said:
but i think that's different..don't supre hire guys to lure in 13yr olds? some stand outside the store and chat to the girls, make them feel special, and then they go in the store and try something on......that's what i heard anyway
Yeah, I know someone who works there... they're arses sometimes, hitting on the hot young girls and being slack to random people just for their fun.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
They would hire guys but they would always hold a preference for females because they have a better understanding of womens clothes. BUt theres nothing stopping a guy from working there really...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I guess the store could argue that girls might be uncomfortable with a boy fitting bras o_O ... btw I don't know if working in a bra shop is that great a job for a teenager boy- besides, what happens when an 80yr old grandma comes in in need of help *shudder*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)