• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

do you have to remind your employer to change your rate of pay after yr birthday? (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i just got a new job last week, and i'll be paid the award rate for a shop employee which according to this is 10.75 per hour (approx) for 18 year olds. but i'm turning 19 in 3 weeks and the rate goes up to 12.27 per hour. will i need to tell my employee to change it, or should they do it automatically etc? i'm a bit nervous about havign to bug my employer about pay-related issues, i only just got the job and i dont want to have to be whining only 3 weeks into it.

i have 27 hrs next week though. HOORAY! so good to have a job at last and be bringing in the $$$$

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
they technically SHOULD change it without u having to ask but if they have alot of employees to keep track of then u will have to remind them...just say it nicely though ;) and im sure they wont grumble or anything....hopefully

Last edited:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
thx Sarah. its so scary tho! i wish my birthday werent for a few months so i didnt have to ask til i knew my boss etc better.. its still so intimidating talking to them!!!

i have another question for ppl working in retail e.g ms12 or someone... are you guys paid time and a half or anything on saturdays? or just the normal rate

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ok, about the age/pay increase thing, at a big place that has a computerised payroll system, it will automatically go up in the system....however if you're just at a small shop you will probably have to remind ur boss.

About the pay rates for weekends, it depends where you're working and whether or not you have a union enterprise agreement. For example at Kmart the SDA negotiates all pay and working conditions, and it is specified that casuals get time-and-a-half on sundays. However, if you're a part-timer (ie on contract), you would get time-and-a-half on saturdays and double time on sundays. Having said that, if you're working at an independent place thats relatively small, theres nothing to say you have to get extra on weekends.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i always remind my boss
i say.. guess wat?? its my birthday this wk!!
and that usually does the trick

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
at my work it does it automatically..
wow grace im going to get 10.61 when i turn 17 lol
just check ur next pay slip and if it hasnt gone up talk to ur boss

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hey thanks for that link, sss....

i've looked up my job, and goddammit i am SO underpaid.
i get around $6.70 per hour on saturday nights when i should be getting around $11! (according to that site). rawr.

but i work for my uncle, so i can't complain :(

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
which is exactly the reason why you should never work for family members

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by cyrax83
which is exactly the reason why you should never work for family members
ahh well i didnt' really have a choice.... :( and i can't find another job & quit coz my uncle's low on people, raaaahh

v sia

HSC
spin spin sugar
dont ask , its really embarrassing depending on how you say it , just wait 1 week after working as a 19 year old and chedck ur pay slip if its wrong ( 18 yo pay rate ) then complain

Rahul

Dead Member
i did it a bit subtly....got someone else to let him know about my birthday, so he could say happy birthday to me lol.

they used the new payrate for my next pay. a whopping 9.33! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)