Do you Know Why?? (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Does anyone know why antibiotics doesn't destroy viruses, but only bacterias?:confused:

sneaker

i think it's something to do with the fact that viruses contain nucleic acid (dna) and are cannot be destroyed only mutated, whereas, bacterium don't forge this problem

sillychikki

HSC
Its all in the way the antibiotics work. Antibiotics break down the bacteria cell's membrane and interfere with their metabolism. They can do this because bacteria exist as whole cells.

Viruses on the other hand are DNA/RNA wrapped in a protein coating which can only reproduce by attacking host cells and taking them over, forcing them to make new viruses.

Therefore antibiotics cant destroy viruses because viruses dont have a cell membrane. Its hard to kill off viruses without interfering with the host cell, which comes from the organism itself... not something you really want to kill off!!!

hope it helps:D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks guys, But if antibiotics can "do" something to the bacteria such as punching holes in the cell membrane and destroy it, Isn't it logical to say that antibiotic could ALSO punch holes through the protein coat of the viruses?

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
membranes are made of different substances to proteins (i don't know what) so logic says that antibiotics cannot dissolve proteins in the same way as membranes.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Cell membranes are made up of 70% Protein and 30% lipids
So why couldn't you Punch holes in the protein coat of the viruses too??
(I do know something about Biology :) )

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
well there you go... it's probably the lipid content that restricts the bacteria from dissovling the membrane.

sorry about before...i wasn't trying to make you look stupid, just in a hurry...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's alright mei_ling03.

To Generator:

That's NOT the point, WHAT do you mean by "it's all in the name"????

sillychikki

HSC
mm... um if it helps...

antibiotics work specifically on bacterial cell membranes, they cant break down other substances... and that's not the only way they work on bacteria. They can interfere with the cellular processes.

Viruses are eradicated by stopping DNA synthesis or protein synthesis- which means the viruses can no longer have a protein coating, so they die. Antibiotics cant do this, they kill cells only, so they cant kill viruses. Help? is that ok?

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Contrary to popular belief, antibiotics have no effect on a virus. Most antibiotics interfere with the reproduction of bacteria, hindering their creation of new genetic instructions or new cell walls. Because viruses do not carry out their own biochemical reactions, antibiotics do not affect them.
With bacteria interference of its metabolism is caused by hindering specific enzymes in its cells.
viruses do have enzymes but they are not initiated until a host cell is found, by this time it is to late.
the only point at which a virus can be successfully attacked is once it has infected the host cell, however as earlier mentioned this is not a good idea, killing the host cell can be just as detrimental as allowing the virus to spread.
a better option in limiting a viruses effect is immunisation, remember, prevention is better than cure.
blah blah blah blah blah blah..... i'm so lonely..heh
hope that helps folks

sillychikki

HSC
yeah sounds good to me... wow i think we might have covered it now...:D

mommba

don't viruses keep changing the protein coats? maybe thats why antibiotics can't be used to cure viral diseases.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
yes, the fact that they keep changing their antigenic protiens is another reason why some viruses are elusive to the immune system as they are considered a 'new' pathogen and so antigens have not been produced to combat them. with this deficiency of antigens the virus is in a prime position to attack cells without to much of a hinderance, although once they are recognised the immune system makes an attempt to form antigens for it. often this is in vain as mutations can occur and so their anitigenic coats are yet again unrecognizable and the cycle repeats...
antibiotics are powerless against viruses...
immunisation is best response..
i recently heard on the news that melbournian scientists hav developed a new way of combatting influenz..or was it aids.. they produce their own mutations and immunise ppl.. this way, they take the initiative and so any mutations in the future are in a way accounted for.. what annoys me is..
i wrote an essay on this last year.. and that was my proposed method on how some virus infections can be prevented.. *tear rolls down cheek

so unfair..heh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)